"Basically AK is the biggest, baddest (the good sort of bad, like gangsta) way to start off the year. This is a super tactic to get to know a lot of cool people and Taffy. Simple ingredients (windsurfers from all around, Cornwall, wicked fancy dress party, a few beverages and some great windsurfing) combine to make an unforgettable weekend. Even if you do forget some of it FB photos are there to bring back those memories, trust me! Throw in some tuition from some of the best windsurfing guys around, all the kit from the demo guys and your own unabated enthusiasm you really do have a top weekend that will kick start your windsurfing and Uni year."
Next Event: Aussie Kiss 10
Aussie Kiss is the first SWA event of the windsurfing year, and is always absolutely epic. We head down in mini buses on the Friday evening to Bude, where we have the luxury of staying in static caravans for the weekend. The party is soon found in the bar located only a few seconds from your accommodation where you'll get to meet some of the several hundred student windsurfers from all around the country. Everyone is amazingly friendly, and some of the people you meet this weekend will end up being friends for life.
The Saturday starts with bacon sandwiches for breakfast and the much needed cup of tea. Everyone then heads over to Roadford Reservoir for a day of windsurfing. Whether you are a complete beginner or an advanced windsurfer you'll be catered for, with tuition from some of the best instructors the SWA has to offer. Spaces go quickly, so keep an eye out on your e-mails to find out when and how to sign up!
What should I bring?
Most events require very little to be taken with you, but here is a list of essentials:
- Warm clothes are absolutely essential, always take more than you think you'll need!
- A sleeping bag is generally required, even when a bed is provided, sheets generally aren't.
- A wetsuit, you can borrow one from the club if you don't have your own
- Wetsuit boots / shoes. If you don't have the boots, then just take some old trainers you don't mind getting wet
- Your fancy dress costume. Every event has a theme for the Saturday, ask any committee member about where to find your cheap fancy dress equipment. Bodypaint is always good!
- Munchies for the bus journey there
More information: Check out the SWA website for more information
There are always more events, official and unofficial in the pipeline. Have a look at the SWA website for the latest information.