University of Bristol Windsurf Club
The University Of Bristol Windsurf Club caters for all levels from those who have never touched a board to those who are looping and wave-sailing!
We run beginner trips every Wednesday, where you are taught the ropes at a safe sailing location by qualified RYA instructors. Weekend trips are arranged at various locations (including Poole Harbour and Cornwall) for intermediate and advanced sailors. The club owns a large selection of kit which is available to members.
The club attends all the inter-university competitions on the national SWA (Student Windsurfing Association) circuit, as well as hosting its own event. Socials are held every week in various locations, in and around Bristol, often starting at the Coach and Horses, our sponsors.
Other socials include curry nights, karaoke, pub golf and house parties a plenty! Get involved!
Over the past few years we've been voted Club of the Year twice! Our members benefit from an amazing committee who are dedicated to helping you get as much as possible out of the club. Last year we ran over 20 hours worth of beginner trips, attended eight SWA weekend events, ran a highly windsurfing focused 'boot camp' weekend, progressed 6 of our members to become fully qualified instructors, had a weeks holiday in Greece, which was all topped off with two weeks in Egypt. Now that is what you call an amazing opportunity!
If you want to join the club this coming year make sure you visit our stand at FRESH on the Thursday or Friday of Freshers week. Otherwise you can drop Ed an e-mail and let him know you want to join.
- Beginner Trips are run every Wednesday afternoon, and are the ideal introduction to windsurfing. Attend a few of our beginner trips, and before you know it you'll be joining the intermediates on trips to Poole Harbour.
- Intermediate Trips are run for those who have windsurfed before. Whether you've only had a few hours on the water, or are well on your way to learning to carvy gybe intermediate trips are run for a whole range of levels depending on the conditions.
- Advanced Trips happen as and when it gets windy. Locations vary from Cornwall to South Wales and are an awesome way to meet other windsurfers.
- Socials happen every Tuesday and are the perfect place to sign up for trips and catch up with all the latest goings on.
- SWA Events are run throughout the year at different venues around the UK with windsurfing for all standards and an unmissable party on the Saturday night.
- Boot Camp is a weekend event run for complete beginners through to intermediates to really improve your windsurfing ability. You'll also have the chance to get a proper RYA qualification.
- Club Holidays are an amazing way to improve your windsurfing in a hot climate. We have run trips to Dahab for as long as anyone can remember, and for the past two years have also been to Vassiliki.
Why should I join the club?
Windsurfing is an amazing sport, but with so many different things to try at University, there are several reasons why the windsurfing club will leave you buzzing for more. We run regular trips for beginners, intermediates and advanced, no one is left out. We're an active club and we want to give you as many opportunities as possible to be a part of the action. Even if you're in your final year of Uni, have never windsurfed before and didn't join at the start of the year, there's still plenty of chances to come to our events.
For those who haven't tried windsurfing before you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll be on your feet sailing along. Come and try one of our beginner trips, because in one trip you'll already have mastered the basics. From there the windsurfing world is your oyster, just ask our beginner rep Helen, who in only two terms of windsurfing with the club went from complete beginner to qualified instructor.
How do I join the club?
You can come and visit us at Fresher's Fair, or just drop Ed an e-mail at any point in the year to join the club.
Visit our Facebook Group and chat to our other members, meet the committee, see photos, videos and even more. We'll keep you up to date with everything that's happening with the club and you'll be able to find the latest club news here too. Check it out!