Finding your lost friends on the internet
Below are some hints for finding your ‘lost’ friends on the web. If you find someone who is on our list of lost alumni, please email their details to us at email@example.com or send them an email asking them to register on our website.
- Type the name of the person you are looking for into an internet search engine, such as www.google.com.
- If this hasn’t found your classmate try searching for "name" + "Bristol University" ; or "name" + "subject studied".
- If you think you know the area your friend works in try relevant search terms, for example "name" + "public relations" ; or "name" + "human resources".
Using the inverted commas and + sign to separate your search terms makes sure Google only returns the most relevant web pages.
If you know someone who studied law you may find them on:
- The Law Society – all practicing solicitors are registered with them and listed on their directory.
- The Bar Directory – holds details of practicing UK barristers.
If you know someone who studied medicine you can search for them on www.specialistinfo.com. This is a directory of 32,800 Medical Consultants and over 35,000 GPs who have chosen to include their information.
Social networking sites can be a fantastic way to get back in touch with old friends. Why not try searching Facebook, Friends Reunited, MySpace or LinkedIn?