Welcome to School of Biochemistry Scientific Women's Academic Network page
The School holds an ATHENA SWAN Silver Award
Find out more about ATHENA SWAN Charter (hosted by Research Councils UK)
SWAN is also owned by the Equality Challenge Unit and currently also receives financial support from:
The 2010 Biochemistry Retreat
Women members of Staff in School of Biochemistry: Jo Adams, Paula Booth, Jan Frayne, Alex Gampel, Elinor Griffiths, Chrissy Hammond, Kate Heesom, Patricia Kuwabara, Kelly Moule, Kate Nobes, Suman Peel, Alice Robson.
We are all happy to provide informal advice and discussion on career paths and development.
Commitment to good employment practice relevant to scientific women in academia working at UoB and School of Biochemistry
Links to Career Monitoring and Career Development Materials
- Good Practice in University Science Departments
- The chemistry PhD: the impact on women's retention
- Change of Heart - Career intentions and the chemistry PhD
(pdfs are available under Other Publications tab)
- Careers and Rewards in Bio Sciences
- Career book, Career Advice for Life Scientists I and II
- Career book, Career Advice for Life Scientists III
- Your career from undergrad to postdoc
- The informed job search
- Running your lab
- Careers away from the bench
- Career Basics Booklet - 2009 edition
MentorSET is a mentoring scheme to help women working in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). It provides independent mentors who understand the challenges faced and who can provide support and advice.
Back to Top