Browse/search for people
Professor Christiane Berger-Schaffitzel
Professor Christiane Berger-Schaffitzel
Professor of Biochemistry
MSc(Hannover), PhD(Zurich), Habiliation (ETHZurich)
Area of research
Ribosomal complexes in protein targeting, translocation and quality control
Christiane Berger-Schaffitzel’s research combines molecular biology, in vitro and in vivo biochemistry, and single-particle cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) to study the structure and function of macromolecular complexes. She obtained her PhD from the University of Zürich (Switzerland) with Andreas Plückthun establishing ribosome display as an in vitro selection and evolution method for high-affinity antibodies against proteins and nucleic acids. At ETH Zürich (with Nenad Ban), she studied ribosomal complexes involved in co-translational targeting and translocation by electron cryo-microscopy. As a team leader at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) in Grenoble (France) she continued to study large macromolecular complexes in gene expression and metabolic regulation.
Research of the Berger-Schaffitzel lab in Bristol (since 2014) focusses on co-translational membrane protein insertion through the bacterial translocation membrane and translational quality control mechanisms. The work has been supported by major grant funding from the European Research Council (ERC Starting Grant),the European Commission (EC FP7), the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF), the Baden-Württemberg Stiftung and the Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR) among others.
- Zhang, W, Aubert, A, Segura, JGd, Karuppasamy, M, Basu, S, Murthy, A, Diamante, A, Drury, T, Balmer, J, Cramard, J, Watson, A, Lando, D, Lee, S, Palayret, M, Kloet, S, Smits, A, Deery, M, Vermeulen, M, Hendrich, B, Klenerman, D, Berger-Schaffitzel, CH, Berger, I & Laue, E, 2016, The Nucleosome Remodeling and Deacetylase Complex NuRD is built from preformed catalytically active sub-modules. Journal of Molecular Biology, vol 428., pp. 2931-2942
- Botte, M, Zaccai, NR, Nijeholt, JL, Ma;rtin, R, Knoops, K, Papai, G, Zou, J, Deniaud, A, Karuppasamy, M, Jiang, Q, Roy, AS, Schulten, K, Schultz, P, Rappsilber, J, Zaccai, G, Berger, I, Collinson, I & Schaffitzel, C, 2016, A central cavity within the holo-translocon suggests a mechanism for membrane protein insertion. Scientific Reports, vol 6.
- Ivanov, A, Mikailova, T, Eliseev, B, Yeramala, L, Sokolova, E, Susorov, D, Shuvalov, A, Berger-Schaffitzel, C & Alkalaeva, E, 2016, PABP enhances release factor recruitment and stop codon recognition during translation termination. Nucleic Acids Research, vol 44., pp. 7766-7776
- Komar, J, Alvira-de-Celis, S, Schulze, R, Martin, R, Nijeholtb, JALA, Lee, S, Dafforn, T, Deckers-Hebestreit, G, Berger, I, Berger-Schaffitzel, C & Collinson, I, 2016, Membrane protein insertion and assembly by the bacterial holo-translocon SecYEG-SecDF-YajC-YidC. Biochemical Journal, vol 473., pp. 3341-3354
- Berger-Schaffitzel, CH, 2016, MCM2-7 Conformational Changes in Presence of DNA. Cell Cycle, vol 15., pp. 2391-2392
- Botte, M, Deniaud, A & Berger-Schaffitzel, C, 2016, Cell-free Synthesis of Macromolecular Complexes. in: M Cristina Vega (eds) Advanced Technologies for Protein Complex Production and Characterization. Springer International Publishing, pp. 79-95
- Nie, Y, Chaillet, M, Becke, C, Haffke, M, Pelosse, M, Fitzgerald, D, Collinson, I, Berger-Schaffitzel, C & Berger, I, 2016, ACEMBL Tool-Kits for High-Throughput Multigene Delivery and Expression in Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Hosts. in: M Cristina Vega (eds) Advanced Technologies for Protein Complex Production and Characterization. Springer International Publishing, pp. 27-42
- Trowitzsch, S, Viola, C, Scheer, E, Conic, S, Chavant, V, Fournier, M, Papai, G, Ebong, I-O, Berger-Schaffitzel, CH, Zou, J, Haffke, M, Rappsilber, J, Robinson, CV, Schultz, P, Tora, L & Berger, I, 2015, Cytoplasmic TAF2-TAF8-TAF10 complex provides evidence for nuclear holo-TFIID assembly from preformed submodules. Nature Communications, vol 6.
- von Loeffelholz, O, Jiang, Q, Ariosa, A, Karuppasamy, M, Huard, K, Berger, I, Shan & Berger-Schaffitzel, CH, 2015, Ribosome-SRP-FtsY co-translational targeting complex in the closed state.. Proceedings of the national academy of sciences of the united states of america, vol 112., pp. 3943-3948
- Komar, J, Botte, M, Collinson, IR, Berger-Schaffitzel, CH & Berger, I, 2015, ACEMBLing a Multiprotein Transmembrane Complex: The Functional SecYEG-SecDF-YajC-YidC Holotranslocon Protein Secretase/Insertase.. Methods in Enzymology, vol 556., pp. 23-49
Edit this profile If you are Professor Christiane Berger-Schaffitzel, you can edit this page. Login required.