Capillary sequencing and fragment analysis
The Bristol Genomics Facility houses an Applied Biosystems 3500 Genetic Analyser, an 8-capillary system for DNA sequencing and fragment analysis applications. We offer a 'ready-to-run' service in which the investigator provides the completed sequencing or fragmentation analysis reactions and we will run samples on the ABI 3500 and deliver data via email typically within 48 hours.
If you are new to capillary sequencing applications or are planning to set up a sequencing experiment, the following links contain informative resources:
- DNA sequencing tutorial
- List of products for DNA purification, PCR amplification and cycle sequencing reaction steps upstream of capillary electrophoresis
Fragment analysis generates a size estimate for DNA fragments relative to a size standard of DNA fragments with known lengths. There are numerous applications utilising this technique which are listed below as links to informative resources:
- Amplified Fragment Length Polymorphism (AFLP)
- Microsatellite analysis
- SNaPshot (SNP genotyping)
- Single stranded conformation
Please follow the link for a list of products required for a fragment analysis run.
- Completed sequencing reactions should be provided dried down following ethanol precipitation.
- Completed fragment analysis reactions should be provided pre-diluted (1:10 is usually sufficient) in 8-strip tubes or a 96-well plate.
- Please follow this link for sample submission forms