Elizabeth Blackwell Institute Newsletter No.17: 28 November 2018 28 November 2018 The 17th edition of the Elizabeth Blackwell Institute Newsletter was distributed via email on 28 November 2018.
- Wellcome Trust review how they support science 6 December 2018 Wellcome Trust is launching a review into how they should best support science to achieve their mission of improving health.
- Elizabeth Blackwell Institute Newsletter No.17: 28 November 2018 28 November 2018 The 17th edition of the Elizabeth Blackwell Institute Newsletter was distributed via email on 28 November 2018.
- Further funding for EBI awardees 27 November 2018 Many Elizabeth Blackwell Institute awardees go on to secure further funding or fellowships. We're pleased to share details of some of the recent grants and positions secured by our awardees.
- Bristol Fun Palaces - everyone an artist, everyone a scientist! 22 November 2018 International Fun Palaces weekend took place on 6 and 7 October this year, bringing researchers together with residents and community partners to co-host arts and science events. Elizabeth Blackwell Institute hosts Bristol’s Fun Palace Ambassador, supporting researchers at the University of Bristol and local community groups to set up arts and science activities across Bristol as part of the global Fun Palaces campaign.
- New interdisciplinary research network to tackle antimicrobial resistance 14 November 2018 Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is an escalating global health emergency with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) estimating that ‘superbugs’ will kill 1.3 million people in Europe by 2050, including more than 90,000 in the UK, unless we can halt the rise in antibiotic-resistant infections. The University of Bristol is committed to tackling this global challenge with a new cross-faculty and interdisciplinary AMR research network, funded by the Elizabeth Blackwell Institute.
- Equality and diversity in health research 13 November 2018 Lauren Curtis, Diversity and Inclusion Champion in the Elizabeth Blackwell Institute, blogs about her role, Vote 100 and equality in health research.
- Medical Humanities Strand research clusters 13 November 2018 We are delighted to announce four new research clusters have been established as part of the EBI Medical Humanities Strand. Opening the door to new arts-science collaborations by connecting researchers from all faculties together with clinicians and external partners for research focusing on philosophy and humanities.
- Latest funding schemes awardees 13 November 2018 Elizabeth Blackwell Institute runs a number of schemes supporting health related translational projects. Here are details of the latest 2018 awardees at the University of Bristol for two of our translational project funding schemes.
- Wellcome Trust and Gates Foundation join the Open Access coalition 8 November 2018 To ensure that research findings are shared widely and are made freely available at the time of publication, Wellcome and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have joined cOAlition S and endorsed the principles of Plan S [5 November 2018].
- Elizabeth Blackwell Annual Public Lecture by Dame Professor Parveen Kumar 30 October 2018 We were delighted to welcome Dame Professor Parveen Kumar in Bristol as our fifth Elizabeth Blackwell Annual Public Lecture speaker. Her talk was titled 'Health in a global world: my personal journey', a fascinating story from the foothills of Lahore through China and India, sharing her solitary (as one of very few women) educational experience to the top of the medical profession.