Winners of 2019/20 Cabot Institute Innovation Fund announced 9 January 2020 Winners of the Cabot Institute Innovation Fund for 2019/2020 have been announced. The funds are aimed at supporting bold, ambitious, and impactful ideas, that transcend disciplinary boundaries. It offers the Cabot Institute an opportunity to invite new ideas from our research community – those that might not receive funding from traditional sources, but which show real intellectual or practical promise.
- Scientists uncover how an explosion of new genes explain the origin of land plants 16 January 2020 Scientists have made a significant discovery about the genetic origins of how plants evolved from living in water to land 470 million years ago.
- Spin out company that designs machine components to survive in harshest conditions receives grant from Innovate UK 16 January 2020 A University of Bristol spin out company that specialises in addressing the problems of high-servicing requirements of machines in the marine, mining and offshore industries, has received a £300,000 grant from Innovate UK.
- Making Bristol a Living Wage City 14 January 2020 A coalition of employers in Bristol, including the University of Bristol, has been formally recognised by the Living Wage Foundation for their work to make Bristol a Living Wage City, the largest city in the UK to achieve this new status.
- Pioneering tool to manage media industry’s digital carbon footprint 13 January 2020 A collaboration between computer scientists at the University of Bristol and nine major media companies, including ITV and BBC, will help the media industry understand and manage the significant carbon impacts of digital content.
- Bristol City Fellows to challenge inequalities in city decision making 10 January 2020 Four ‘Bristol City Fellows’ have been appointed to lead a series of innovative projects to empower diverse communities to shape the city’s future.
- Sustainable student start-up raises £2.35 million in seed funding 10 January 2020 A group of University of Bristol alumni have secured £2.35 million in seed funding to grow and develop their award-winning, climate-crisis-combatting farming company LettUs Grow, in an investment round led by Longwall Venture Partners LLP.
- Winners of 2019/20 Cabot Institute Innovation Fund announced 9 January 2020 Winners of the Cabot Institute Innovation Fund for 2019/2020 have been announced. The funds are aimed at supporting bold, ambitious, and impactful ideas, that transcend disciplinary boundaries. It offers the Cabot Institute an opportunity to invite new ideas from our research community – those that might not receive funding from traditional sources, but which show real intellectual or practical promise.
- Advisory and academic panels working on Climate Assembly UK includes two Bristol researchers 9 January 2020 As the UK’s first citizens’ assembly on climate change prepares to meet for the first time at the end of January, the two panels of stakeholders and researchers helping to ensure the balance and accuracy of the assembly have been announced.
- Research Fellow wins Hind Rattan Award 2020 7 January 2020 Dr Bramha Dutt Vishwakarma, Marie Curie Research Fellow in the School of Geographical Sciences, is to receive the Hind Rattan Award 2020 “for outstanding Services, Contributions and Achievements in the field of Environmental Science”.
- Protecting two key regions in Belize could save threatened jaguar, say scientists 6 January 2020 Scientists studying one of the largest populations of jaguars in Central Belize have identified several wildlife corridors that should be protected to help the species survival. The study, led by the University of Bristol and the American Museum of Natural History and published in BMC Genetics, provide a new insight into where conservation efforts should be concentrated.