DVDs - online videos about how to gain a job
The Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS), in conjunction with higher education careers service staff, has produced a series of DVD titles which are available to view via the web in 'streaming media' format.
The AGCAS DVD titles are sponsored by npower - one of the UK's leading energy companies providing gas, electricity and related services to homes and businesses. npower operates and manages flexible, low-cost coal, oil and gas-fired power stations, established the UK's first major offshore wind farm and is developing other innovative energy-related technologies.
Please note: Access to the DVD titles is limited to University of Bristol students and staff only [i.e. students and staff with an @bristol.ac.uk email address] due to licence restrictions imposed by the original information providers.
Please select the title you wish to view from the list below and enter your UoB username and password when prompted.
- Journey to work
DVD shows eight students as they prepare for life after university. The students talk about their career ambitions and what they have already done to maximise their chances of getting a job they want. Graduate recruiters explain what makes an applicant stand out [Total duration 2:20:00]. The Journey to Work DVD also features guides to boosting employability including:
- CVs and applications [Duration 13:00]
- Getting involved in student life [Duration 05:00]
- Networking [Duration 09:00]
- Postgraduate study [Duration 05:00]
- Using your careers service [Duration 07:00]
- Volunteering [Duration 08:00]
- Work experience [Duration 09:00]
- At the Assessment Centre
DVD shows real students and graduates being assessed by actual recruiters in assessment centre activities. It includes extracts from each exercise, selectors' verdicts and candidates' reflections on their own performance. Chapters: Introduction [Duration 02:13], Ice breaker exercise [Duration 00:52], Prepared presentation [Duration 08:40], Role play [Duration 07:28], In-tray exercise [Duration 03:52], Group discussion [Duration 17:52], Meal with the selectors [Duration 00:40], Case study [Duration 04:51], Interview [Duration 14:56], 10-minute guide [Duration 10:19].
- Big opportunities in small businesses - graduates in small and medium sized enterprises
- Making an impact - the graduate job interview
Making an impact chapters: In a telephone interview [Duration 12:38], At Enterprise Rent-A-Car [Duration 34:56], At KPMG [Duration 28:00], and At Winning Moves creative agency [Duration 31:34]
- The assessment centre
- Your job's online - completing electronic applications
- Selection centres for specialty training
A wide range of assessment techniques is used to select junior doctors for specialty training. Using genuine assessors and candidates, this DVD shows you what may happen in five different assessment stations. Chapters: Introduction [Duration 00:48], Portfolio interview [Duration 13:10], Presentation [Duration 06:17], Mock GP consultation [Duration 11:51], Structured interview [Duration 08:55], Simulation station [Duration 10:45], Credits [Duration 00:42].
- Windows Media Player 11 needs to be installed on your computer.
- You will be able to fast-forward and rewind the DVDs once they have downloaded completely; this process may take a few minutes.
- We recommend the use of headphones rather than speakers, in part for audio quality reasons but also because computer speakers may be disabled in public access areas such as branch libraries and computer rooms.
- To view the DVD in Full Screen mode, right click on the video as it is playing and select Zoom > Full Screen. To return to the original size, press the Esc key or right click on the video as it is playing and select Exit Full Screen.
- Advice about CVs, Covering Letters and Application Forms
- Advice about Interviews
- Advice about Assessment and Selection Centres
- Occupational information - I want to work in... medicine
- Video Directory: Videos about CVs, interviews, job hunting, career planning and career change - sponsored by Barclays Capital.
Please note: Access to the Video Directory is limited to University of Bristol students and staff [i.e. students and staff with an @bristol.ac.uk email address], and registered UoB graduates, due to licence restrictions imposed by the original information providers.
The Careers Service is keen to receive your feedback on the value of these DVDs. Please send comments, questions or suggestions to Mark Powell, Head of Information Services, Careers Service or complete the online feedback form.
Return to Careers Information Resources index page