The following resources are useful when researching a wide range of countries in the Middle East region.
Sources of regional information
- Check out the Careers Services' LibraryThing Catalogue for print resources and the Browse resources tool for electronic resources for this region.
- Financial Times international business insight for Middle East and Africa provides overviews of the business markets in these regions (mycareer access required).
- Search the Careers Tagged database from The Careers Group, University of London for online resources for a range of Middle Eastern countries.
- British embassies in the Middle East could be a source of information. The Middle East countries' Embassy/Consultate/High Commission in the UK may have details of trade links, media sources, associations and professional bodies.
- The UK Trade & Investment government department may have details of links between the UK and other countries.
- Browse AME Info for Middle East business and financial news. There is also a searchable business directory and industry sector and country news.
Regional job vacancies
- The Careers Group London's International Jobonline has international vacancies.
- Search Asian and Middle East newspapers for job vacancies and current awareness.
- Browse Bayt.com - job site for the Middle East.
- efinancialcareers.co.uk can be searched by country for financial positions and includes several Middle Eastern countries.
- Oilcareers.com - can be searched by the country and sector.
- Jobs.ac.uk has vacancies in universities in the Middle East.
- Careers in MENA (Middle East and North Africa) a recruitment service for graduates who are Middle Eastern or North African nationals who organise recruitment events each year.
Sources of companies / company directories
- The Chambers of Commerce can offer potential leads of companies that could have vacancies or could be approached speculatively. The British Chambers of Commerce website lists international chambers of commerce both based in the UK and internationally. International trade associations are another source of potential employers. The Arab-British Chamber of Commerce is the one for the region. Under 'business services' there are country profiles which include useful contacts.
- The Middle East Association promotes trade and relations between the UK and the Middle East and Africa. This organisation offers networking opportunities including with small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Browse the Kompass Online Directory, a business to business directory. You can search by type of business and country/continent.
- Directory of Development Organisations has downloadable guides to many Middle Eastern countries.
- Legal500 has some Middle Eastern countries with listings of law firms.
- Infobel has some Middle Eastern telephone directories (including Yellow Pages) that could be searched by location and type of employer.
- MBendi is a South African based website which has extensive listings of companies and organisations in the Middle East. It also has information about economic growth and industries.
- International Association of Universities has a list of member institutions in many Middle Eastern countries. It might be worth looking for Careers Services webpages for these universities. They may have details of vacancies locally or suggestions of how to find work.
Country specific information
The following countries have been chosen on the basis of international student numbers at the University of Bristol and/or countries known to be of interest to University of Bristol students and graduates.
Many of the resources in the regional section above will be useful. Here are some specific websites for Bahrain.
- The Arab-British Chamber of Commerce has a country profile for Bahrain with contacts. Go to 'business services' and then 'country profiles'.
- Browse Bahrain newspapers for job vacancies.
- The Bahrain British Business Forum promotes trade and investment between Bahrain and Britain.
- Directory of Development Organisations - Bahrain.
Many of the resources in the regional section above will be useful. Here are some specific websites for Kuwait.
- Kuwait Government Online has information about working in Kuwait (including visas) and business information.
- The Arab-British Chamber of Commerce has a country profile for Kuwait with contacts. Go to 'business services' and then 'country profiles'.
- British Business Forum Kuwait supports British companies in Kuwait.
- Browse Kuwait newspapers for job vacancies .
- Directory of Development Organisations - Kuwait.
Many of the resources in the regional section above will be useful. Here are some specific websites for Saudi Arabia.
- There is information about Working in Saudi Arabia on the TARGETjobs website with sections on the job market; applying for jobs; vacancy sources; visas and immigration advice.
- Information about Studying in Saudi Arabia can be found on the TARGETcourses website.
- Saudi British Trade Directory may be a source of employers.
- Search the Saudian Yellow Pages for companies.
- Search SAMIRAD (Saudia Arabia Market Information Resource) for business information about Saudia Arabia including a company directory.
- Directory of Development Organisations - Saudi Arabia.
- Browse Saudi newspapers for job vacancies and current awareness.
United Arab Emirates
Many of the resources in the regional section above will be useful. Here are some specific websites for the United Arab Emirates.
- There is information about Working in United Arab Emirates on the TARGETjobs website with sections on the job market; applying for jobs; vacancy sources; visas and immigration advice.
- Information about Studying in United Arab Emirates can be found on the TARGETcourses website.
- Graduate Prospects has a country profile for United Arab Emirates with sections on the job market; applying for jobs; vacancy sources; visas and immigration advice and postgraduate study.
- Going Global has a profile for United Arab Emirates which includes job hunting resources, industry specific information such as professional organizations and networking groups, CV/application guidelines, and interviewing and cultural advice.
- Starting your career in United Arab Emirates - NASES guide for international students. Includes key facts about current trends and jobs, advice about seeking employment, hints and tips for making a successful application, and helpful information sources. Also contains a CV/resume.
- Emirates Nationals Development Programme (ENDP) is designed to integrate young UAE Nationals into the private workforce.
- The National Human Resource Development and Employment Authority (TANMIA) provides career guidance for UAE nationals.
- Browse Gulfnews.com for news about the Middle Eastern region and also vacancies for the United Arab Emirates and some other Middle Eastern countries.
- Search the Abu Dhabi Chamber of Commerce and Industry for companies.
- Directory of Development Organisations - United Arab Emirates.
International work and study index page