Browse/search for people
Dr Craig Butts
Dr Craig Butts
Reader in Mechanistic & Structural Chemistry
Area of research
Structural and Mechanistic Chemistry
We tackle challenges based around organic molecular structure and reaction mechanism, principally using NMR spectroscopy - the most information-rich analytical technique available to chemists. Our interests are extremely diverse, ranging from accurate internuclear-distance measurements in solution and developing software-tools for molecular structure elucidation, through experimental investigations of molecular dynamics in solution, to the structure and properties of novel ionic liquid materials - most recently surfactant-based systems with some remarkable physical behaviours.
I completed my undergraduate degree (BSc. Hons, 1st class, 1993) and PhD (under the supervision of Prof. Michael Hartshorn, 1996) at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand. I followed this with a post-doctoral research position (1996-1999) with Professor Roger Alder at the University of Bristol, before being appointed to a Lecturership at Exeter University (1999-2005). In 2005 I moved back to Bristol as a Research Fellow (2005-2008) and subsequently Senior Lecturer (2008-2010) and Reader (2010-).
- NMR Spectroscopy
- Structured Ionic Liquids
- Molecular structure
- Reaction Mechanisms
School of Chemistry
Research areas and groups
- Brown, P, Butts, CP, Eastoe, J, Glatzel, S, Grillo, I, Hall, SH, Rogers, S & Trickett, K 2012, Microemulsions as tunable nanomagnets. Soft Matter, vol 8., pp. 11609-11612
- Butts, CP, Heise, B & Tatolo, G 2012, SelEXSIDE: Fast and Easy Measurement of Multiple-Bond H-1,C-13 Coupling Constants for Stereochemical Analysis. Organic Letters, vol 14., pp. 3256-3259
- Brown, P, Butts, CP & Eastoe, J 2013, Stimuli-responsive surfactants. Soft Matter, vol 9., pp. 2365-2374
- Howgego, JD, Butts, CP, Crump, MP & Davis, AP 2013, An accessible bicyclic architecture for synthetic lectins. Chemical Engineering Communications, vol 49., pp. 3110-3112
- Butts, CP, Jones, CR, Towers, EC, Flynn, JL, Appleby, L & Barron, NJ 2011, Interproton distance determinations by NOE - surprising accuracy and precision in a rigid organic molecule. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, vol 9., pp. 177-184
- Brown, P, Butts, CP, Cheng, J, Eastoe, J, Russell, CA & Smith, GN 2012, Magnetic emulsions with responsive surfactants. Soft Matter, vol 8., pp. 3545-3546
Read more >
Edit this profile If you are Dr Craig Butts, you can edit this page. Login required.