Browse/search for people
Professor Ian Manners
Professor Ian Manners
Professor of Inorganic & Materials Chemistry
BSc, PhD(Bristol), FRS
Area of research
Inorganic, Macromolecular, and Materials Chemistry
Ian’s research interests focus on the development of new synthetic approaches involving catalysis and self-assembly and their applications in molecular chemistry, polymer and materials science, and nanoscience. For more details see the Manners Group website under "Links".
Professor Manners is a supervisor in the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Chemical Synthesis
Ian was born in London, England in 1961 and, after completing his Ph.D., moved first to Germany and then the USA for postdoctoral work. He then joined the Chemistry Department at the University of Toronto in 1990. After 15 enjoyable years in Canada, he moved back to his Alma Mater (University of Bristol, England) in 2006. For more details see the Manners Group webiste under "Links".
Main Group Chemistry, Functional Macromolecules, Self-Assembly.
- materials chemistry
School of Chemistry
Research areas and groups
- Lunn, D, Gould, O, Whittell, G, Armstrong, DP, Mineart, KP, Winnik, MA, Spontak, R, Pringle, P & Manners, I, 2016, Microfibers and Macroscopic Films from the Coordination-Driven Hierarchical Self-Assembly of Cylindrical Micelles. Nature Communications.
- Metters, OJ, Forrest, SJK, Sparkes, HA, Manners, I & Wass, DF, 2016, Small Molecule Activation by Intermolecular Zr(IV)-Phosphine Frustrated Lewis Pairs. Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 138., pp. 1994-2003
- Nazemi, A, Boott, CE, Lunn, DJ, Gwyther, J, Hayward, DW, Richardson, RM, Winnik, M & Manners, I, 2016, Monodisperse Cylindrical Micelles and Block Comicelles of Controlled Length in Aqueous Media. Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 138., pp. 4484?4493
- Li, X, Gao, Y, Boott, CE, Hayward, DW, Harniman, RL, Whittell, GR, Richardson, RM, Winnik, M & Manners, I, 2016, “Cross” Supermicelles via the Hierarchical Assembly of Amphiphilic Cylindrical Triblock Comicelles. Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 138., pp. 4087?4095
- Richardson, R, Whittell, G, Manners, I, Hayward, D & Gilroy, J, 2016, An investigation into the hexagonal phases formed in high-concentration dispersions of well-defined cylindrical block copolymer micelles. Liquid Crystals.
- Qiu, H, Gao, Y, Boott, C, Gould, O, Harniman, R, Miles, M, Webb, S, Winnik, MA & Manners, I, 2016, Uniform patchy and hollow rectangular platelet micelles from crystallizable polymer blends. Science, vol 352., pp. 697-701
- Clifton, J, Habraken, ERM, Pringle, PG & Manners, I, 2015, Subtle effects of ligand backbone on the efficiency of iron-diphos catalysed Negishi cross-coupling reactions. Catalysis science & technology, vol 5., pp. 4350-4353
- Stubbs, NE, Schäfer, A, Robertson, APM, Leitao, EM, Jurca, T, Sparkes, HA, Woodall, CH, Haddow, MF & Manners, I, 2015, B-Methylated Amine-Boranes: Substituent Redistribution, Catalytic Dehydrogenation, and Facile Metal-Free Hydrogen Transfer Reactions. Inorganic Chemistry, vol 54., pp. 10878-10889
- Gould, OEC, Qiu, H, Lunn, DJ, Rowden, J, Harniman, RL, Hudson, ZM, Winnik, MA, Miles, MJ & Manners, I, 2015, Transformation and patterning of supermicelles using dynamic holographic assembly. Nature Communications, vol 6.
- Li, X, Gao, Y, Boott, CE, Winnik, MA & Manners, I, 2015, Non-covalent synthesis of supermicelles with complex architectures using spatially confined hydrogen-bonding interactions. Nature Communications, vol 6.
- Hudson, ZM, Qian, J, Boott, CE, Winnik, MA & Manners, I, 2015, Fluorous cylindrical micelles of controlled length by crystallization-driven self-assembly of block copolymers in fluorinated media. ACS Macro Letters, vol 4., pp. 187-191
- Du, VA, Jurca, T, Whittell, GR & Manners, I, 2015, Aluminum Borate Nanowires from the Pyrolysis of Polyaminoborane Precursors. Dalton Transactions, vol 45., pp. 1055-1062
Edit this profile If you are Professor Ian Manners, you can edit this page. Login required.