Browse/search for people
Professor Ian Manners
Professor Ian Manners
Professor of Inorganic & Materials Chemistry
BSc, PhD(Bristol), FRS
Area of research
Inorganic, Macromolecular, and Materials Chemistry
Ian’s research interests focus on the development of new synthetic approaches involving catalysis and self-assembly and their applications in molecular chemistry, polymer and materials science, and nanoscience. For more details see the Manners Group website under "Links".
Professor Manners is a supervisor in the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Chemical Synthesis
Ian was born in London, England in 1961 and, after completing his Ph.D., moved first to Germany and then the USA for postdoctoral work. He then joined the Chemistry Department at the University of Toronto in 1990. After 15 enjoyable years in Canada, he moved back to his Alma Mater (University of Bristol, England) in 2006. For more details see the Manners Group webiste under "Links".
Main Group Chemistry, Functional Macromolecules, Self-Assembly.
- materials chemistry
School of Chemistry
Research areas and groups
- Caminade, A-M, Hey-Hawkins, E & Manners, I, 2016, Smart Inorganic Polymers. Chemical Society Reviews, vol 45., pp. 5144-5146
- Guerin, G, Rupar, PA, Molev, G, Manners, I, Hiroshi, J & Winnik, M, 2016, Lateral Growth of 1D Core-Crystalline Micelles upon Annealing in Solution. Macromolecules, vol 49., pp. 7001-7014
- Meng, Z, Guijun, L, Wong, H-F, Ng, S-M, Yiu, S-C, Ho, C-L, Leung, C-W, Manners, I & Wong, W-Y, 2016, Patterning of L10 FePt Nanoparticles with Ultra-High Coercivity for Bit-Patterned Media. Nanoscale.
- Metters, OJ, Flynn, SR, Dowds, C, Sparkes, HA, Manners, I & Wass, DF, 2016, Catalytic dehydrocoupling of Amine-Boranes Using Cationic Zirconium(IV)-Phosphine Frustrated Lewis Pairs. ACS Catalysis, vol 6., pp. 6601-6611
- Li, X, Gao, Y, Harniman, R, Winnik, M & Manners, I, 2016, Hierarchical Assembly of Cylindrical Block Comicelles Mediated by Spatially Confined Hydrogen-Bonding Interactions. Journal of the American Chemical Society.
- Kathrein, C, Bai, W, Nunns, A, Gwyther, J, Manners, I, Boeker, A, Tsarkova, L & Ross, C, 2016, Electric field manipulated nanopatterns in thin films of metalorganic 3-miktoarm star terpolymers. Soft Matter (The Royal Society of Chemistry), vol 12., pp. 4866-4874
- He, X, Hsiao, M-S, Boott, C, Harniman, R, Nazemi, A, Li, X, Winnik, M & Manners, I, 2016, Two-dimensional assemblies from crystallizable homopolymers with charged termini. Nature Materials.
- Musgrave, R & Manners, I, 2016, Organometallic chemistry: Fused ferrocenes come full circle. Nature Chemistry, vol 8., pp. 819-820
- Mulakkal, MC, Seddon, AM, Whittell, G, Manners, I & Trask, RS, 2016, 4D fibrous materials: Characterising the deployment of paper architectures. Smart Materials and Structures, vol 25.
- Zhou, H, Lu, Y, Zhang, M, Guerin, G, Manners, I & Winnik, M, 2016, PFS-b-PNIPAM: A first step towards polymeric nanofibrillar hydrogels based on uniform fiber-like micelles. Macromolecules, vol 49., pp. 4265-4276
- Hailes, R, Oliver, A, Gwyther, J, Whittell, G & Manners, I, 2016, Polyferrocenylsilanes: synthesis, properties, and applications. Chemical Society Reviews, vol 45., pp. 5358-5407
- Lunn, DJ, Gould, OEC, Whittell, GR, Armstrong, DP, Mineart, KP, Winnik, MA, Spontak, R, Pringle, PG & Manners, I, 2016, Microfibres and macroscopic films from the coordination-driven hierarchical self-assembly of cylindrical micelles. Nature Communications, vol 7.
Edit this profile If you are Professor Ian Manners, you can edit this page. Login required.