Interactions with Chinese Scientists
For 21 years he has been engaging and working closely with Chinese Scientists, starting with the visit of Dr Jingeng Dong to his lab in Bristol in 1995: Jinfeng is now full Professor in Chemistry at the University of Wuhan.
Seven Visiting Scientists (PhDs, Post-docs and Academics) have come to his lab for 1-year visits from China, funded by a variety of travel grants, including Royal Society China fellowship to fund Dr. Aihua Zou.
He has made seven business trips to China, travelling extensively in the country: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2015.
In Oct 2002 he was made Visiting Professor in Surfactant Science at the China Research Institute for Daily Chemical Industry (RIDCI) Taiyuan China and in Dec 2003 at the University of Wuhan.
He gave two series of Postgraduate lectures in English on visits in 2002 and 2003.
Professor Eastoe has published a unique bi—lingual Chinese/English Colloid Science textbook, based on these lecture courses: “Surfactant Chemistry” Wuhan University Press, Wuhan China. ISBN 7-307-04552-4. 183 pages in Chinese and English, 2005.
In 2005 he gave Undergraduate lecture courses in English in Colloid and Interface Science at the University of Wuhan.
Professor Eastoe was International Plenary Lecturer at the 15th National Chinese Colloid and Interface Conference, Wuhan, July 2015.
He has given about 20 research seminars in Chinese Universities, Research Institutes and Companies.
He has supervised 1 privately-funded PhD student in Bristol from China.
Professor Eastoe has examined 9 PhD students from China who have studied in UK and France.
As co-Editor for Journal of Colloid and Interface Science and Colloid and Polymer Science he has handled and edited ~2000 research paper submissions from China.
As a member of the Editorial board for Langmuir (1997-2014), and as a Reviewer for many other journals, he has refereed > 200 of research papers from China.
He is an Editorial Advisory Board member for the journal Chinese Chemical Letters (2017-2019).
He was on the organizing committee for the International Colloids Conference in Xiamen China in 2013.
Research publications with Chinese Scientists
Since 1996 he has published 24 papers with Chinese co-authors, representing about 10% of his total publication output.
These 24 papers have received 690 citations, averaging 29 citations per paper, with an effective H-index of 12. (Citation count as of December 2016).
1. Design and optimization of a new self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system
Lijuan Wang, Jinfeng. Dong*, J. Chen, Julian Eastoe, X. Li, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2009, 330, 443-448
2. Oil-in-water nanoemulsions for pesticide formulations
Lijuan Wang, Xuefeng Li, Gaoyong Zhang, Jinfeng Dong and Julian Eastoe
Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2007, 314, 230-235
3. Mixing of Alkanes with Surfactant Monolayers in Microemulsions
J.Eastoe*, J.Dong, K.J.Hetherington, D.Sharpe, D.Steytler, R.K.Heenan, Langmuir, 1996, 12, 3876-880
4. Interfacial Properties of a Catanionic Surfactant
J.Eastoe*, P.Rogueda, J.Dalton, J.Dong, D.Sharpe, J.R.P.Webster, Langmuir, 1996, 12, 2706-711.
5. Nanoemulsions prepared by a two-step low-energy process
Lijuan Wang, Kevin Mutch, Julian Eastoe*, Richard K. Heenan, Jinfeng Dong, Langmuir, 24 2008, 6092-6099
6. Formation and stability of nanoemulsions with mixed ionic-nonionic surfactants
Lijuan Wang, Rico Tabor, Julian Eastoe, Xuefeng Li, Richard K. Heenan, Jinfeng Dong*, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2009, Accepted 31-July-09, DOI:10.1039/b912460h
7. Ionic Liquid Tunes Microemulsion Curvature
Jingcheng Hao*, Lipuin Lui, Pierre Bauduin, Thomas Zemb, Julian Eastoe, Langmuir, 2009, 25, 2055-2059
8. Microemulsions with CO2 as a solvent
Julian Eastoe*, Ci Yan and Azmi Mohamed, Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science, 2012, COCIS-D-12-00007 accepted 25-06-12
9. Rich self-assembly behavior from a simple amphiphile
Xuefeng Li, Yi Yang, Julian Eastoe and Jinfeng Dong*, ChemPhysChem, 2010, accepted 22-06-10, article cphc.201000500
10. Photo-labile lamellar phases
Aihua Zou, Julian Eastoe*, Youssef Espidel, Otto Glatter and Isabelle Grillo
Soft Matter, 2008, 4, 1215-1218.
11. Nanostructures in Water-in-CO2 Microemulsions Stabilized by Double-chain Fluorocarbon Solubilizers
Masanobu Sagisaka*, Shuho Iwama, Shinji Ono, Atsushi Yoshizawa, Azmi Mohamed, Stephen Cummings, Ci Yan, Craig James, Sarah Rogers, Richard K Heenan, Julian Eastoe
Langmuir, 2013, 29, 7618–7628
12. Films of Di-chained Surfactants in Microemulsions – conference contribution
J.Eastoe*, K.J.Hetherington, D.Sharpe, J.Dong, D.C.Steytler, and R.K.Heenan, Coll. Surf. A. 1997, 128, 209-15
13. Glycerol-induced swollen lamellar phases
Aihua Zou*, Heinz Hoffmann, Julian Eastoe, Otto Glatter, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2007, 316, 723-729.
14. Structure in Microemulsions of Di-chain Surfactants
J Eastoe*, J.Dong, K.Hetherington, D.C.Steytler and, R.K.Heenan, J.Chem. Soc Faraday Trans. 1996, 92, 65-72.
15. Application of a multi-dentate amphiphilic compound to transfer silver nanoparticles into an organic solvent
N. Gao, J. Dong, H. Zhang, X.Zhou*, G.Zhang J. Eastoe Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2006, 304, 388-393.
16. Surface and Micelle Properties of Novel Multi-dentate Surfactants
Nan Gao, Jinfeng Dong, Gaoyong Zhang, Xiaohai Zhou, Julian Eastoe, Kevin J. Mutch and Richard K. Heenan, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2007, 314, 707-711.
17. Shape Transitions in Supercritical CO2 Microemulsions Induced by Hydrotropes
Craig James, Marios Hopkins Hatzopoulos, Ci Yan, Gregory N. Smith, Shirin Alexander, Sarah E. Rogers, and Julian Eastoe*, Langmuir, 2014, 30, 96–102, DOI: 10.1021/la404144a
18. Properties of surfactant films in water-in-CO2 microemulsions obtained by small-angle neutron scattering
Julian Eastoe*, Ci Yan, Masanobu Sagisaka, Craig James, Sarah Rogers, Shirin Alexander, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2014, 435, 112–118. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2014.08.040
19. Action of hydrotropes in water-in-CO2 microemulsions
Ci Yan, Masanobu Sagisaka, Craig James, Sarah Rogers, Jocelyn Peach and Julian Eastoe*, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2015, accepted 12-03-15, COLSUA-D-15-00171R1
20. Effect of Fluorocarbon and Hydrocarbon Chain Lengths in Hybrid Surfactants for Supercritical CO2
Masanobu Sagisaka*, Shinji Ono, Craig James, Atsushi Yoshizawa, Azmi Mohamed, Frederic Guittard, Sarah Rogers, Richard K Heenan, Ci Yan, Julian Eastoe, Langmuir, 2015, 31, 7479–7487 DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.5b01737
21. Periodic Formation/Breakdown of Lamellar Aggregates with Anionic Cyanobiphenyl Surfactants
Masanobu Sagisaka*, Yayoi Fujita, Yusuke Nakanishi, Hisayuki Takahashi, Narumi Tsuyoshi, Craig James, Atsushi Yoshizawa, Azmi Mohamed, Frederic Guittard,; Julian Eastoe, Langmuir, 2015, 31 Manuscript ID: la-2015-035643.R1. Accepted 6-Nov-2015
22. Shape modification of water-in-CO2 microemulsion droplets through mixing of hydrocarbon and fluorocarbon amphiphiles
Ci Yan, Masanobu Sagisaka, Sarah Rogers, Gavin Hazell, Jocelyn Peach, Julian Eastoe*, Langmuir, 2016, 32, 1421–142, DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.5b03630
23. A new class of amphiphiles designed for use in water-in-supercritical CO2 microemulsions
Masanobu Sagisaka*, Shunsuke Ogiwara, Shinji Ono, Craig James, Atsushi Yoshizawa, Azmi Mohamed, Sarah Rogers, Richard K Heenan, Ci Yan, Jocelyn Peach, Julian Eastoe. Langmuir, 2016, Manuscript ID: la-2016-01670p.R2, accepted 22-Jul-2016 DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.6b01670
24. Light-sensitive Lamellar Phases
Aihua Zou, Julian Eastoe*, Kevin Mutch, Ana Vesperinas, Paul Wyatt, Günther Scherf , Otto Glatter and Isabelle Grillo, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2008, 322 611-616.