Browse/search for people
Professor Kevin Booker-Milburn
Professor Kevin Booker-Milburn
Professor of Organic Chemistry
Area of research
Novel Synthetic Methodology & Total Synthesis
Our research is concerned with the generation of new synthetic methods for the construction of complex organic molecules. Methods include the use of photochemistry in organic synthesis and in particular various cycloaddition reactions of maleimides and derivatives for the construction of complex heterocyclic systems. We are also interested in new Pd(II) catalysed methods that involve C-H activation pathways. Our synthetic targets include biologically active complex polycyclic alkaloids and terpenes.
Kevin Booker-Milburn received his BSc Hons from Paisley College of Technology in 1985 and his Glaxo funded PhD in synthetic organic chemistry from the University of Strathclyde in 1988. After a period of postdoctoral work with Professor Phillip J. Parsons at the Universities of Southampton and Reading he obtained a Lectureship at the University of Salford in 1991. In 1994 he moved to the University of East Anglia where he was promoted to Reader in 1997. He then moved to the University of Bristol in 1999 and was promoted to Professor in 2006. He has recieved the Glaxo-Welcome award for Organic Chemistry, the AstraZeneca award for Organic Synthesis and the RSC Bader Award. Professor Booker-Milburn is currently the Director of the EPSRC Doctoral Training Centre in Chemical Synthesis based at Bristol.
- Synthetic methodology
- total synthesis
- synthetic photochemistry
School of Chemistry
Research areas and groups
- Hutchby, M, Houlden, CE, Haddow, MF, Tyler, SNG, Lloyd-Jones, GC & Booker-Milburn, KI 2012, Switching Pathways: Room-Temperature Neutral Solvolysis and Substitution of Amides. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol 51., pp. 548-551
- Cubbage, KL, Corrie, T, Evans, N, Haddow, MF & Booker-Milburn, KI 2012, Macrocyclic Architecture: Tuning Cavity Size and Shape through Maleimide Photochemistry. Chemistry - a European Journal, vol 18., pp. 11180-11183
- Wrigglesworth, JW, Cox, B, Lloyd-Jones, GC & Booker-Milburn, KI 2011, New Heteroannulation Reactions of N-Alkoxybenzamides by Pd(II) Catalyzed C-H Activation. Organic Letters, vol 13., pp. 5326-5329
- Hutchby, M, Houlden, C, Haddow, M, Tyler, S, Lloyd-Jones, G & Booker-Milburn, K 2011, Switching Pathways: Room Temperature Neutral Solvolysis and Substitution of Amides. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol 50., pp. accepted
- Houlden, CE, Lloyd-Jones, GC & Booker-Milburn, KI 2010, Facile Double-Lithiation of a Transient Urea: Vicarious ortho-Metalation of Aniline Derivatives. Organic Letters, vol 12., pp. 3090-3092
- Houlden, C, Hutchby, M, Bailey, C, Ford, JG, Tyler, S, Gagne, M, Lloyd-Jones, G & Booker-Milburn, K 2009, Room-Temperature Palladium-Catalyzed CH Activation: ortho-Carbonylation of Aniline Derivatives. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol 48., pp. 1830 - 1833
Edit this profile If you are Professor Kevin Booker-Milburn, you can edit this page. Login required.