Varinder K. Aggarwal
Varinder Kumar Aggarwal
School of Chemistry
University of Bristol
Bristol BS8 1TS
Tel: +44 117 954 6315
Fax: +44 117 925 1295
|| Cambridge University, 1980-1983.
B.A. (Hons), Natural Sciences (Chemistry), First Class.
|| Cambridge University, 1983-1986.
Ph.D in Organic Chemistry entitled 'Stereocontrolled Synthesis with Phenylthio Migration'. Supervisor: Dr. Stuart Warren.
CURRENT APPOINTMENT IN THE UNIVERSITY AND DATES
Professor in Synthetic Chemistry, Bristol University (since Sept. 2000).
PREVIOUS APPOINTMENTS AND DATES
- Professor in Chemistry, Sheffield University (Oct. 1997-Sept 2000).
- Reader in Chemistry, Sheffield University (1995-1997).
- Lecturer in Chemistry, Sheffield University (1991-1995).
- Lecturer in Chemistry, Bath University, 1988-1991.
- Post-doctoral Research Fellow with Prof. Gilbert Stork, Columbia University, New York, 1986-1988.
MEMBERSHIP OF SOCIETIES
- Fellow of the Royal Society
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Member of the American Chemical Society
- Member of the Society of Chemical Industries
- Member of EPSRC College (1998-)
MEMBERSHIP OF INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEES
- Member of International Committee on Organic Chemistry of Sulfur (1999-)
- Member of International Committee on Heteroatom Chemistry (2002-)
- Editorial Board of Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry (2002-2005)
- International Advisory Board of Chem Comm (2005-)
- International Advisory Board of Chemistry, an Asian Journal (2006-)
- Member of Editorial Board of Topics in Stereochemistry (2006-)
- Harkness Fellowship (1986-1988)
- Pfizer Academic Award (1996)
- Glaxo Wellcome Academic Award (1996)
- Zeneca Academic Award (1996)
- RSC Hickinbottom Fellowship (1997)
- Nuffield Foundation Fellow (1997-1998)
- Pfizer Academic Award (1998)
- RSC Corday Morgan Prize and Medal (1999)
- Novartis Lecturship 1999/2000
- Liebigs Lecturship (Germany), 1999/2000 (inaugural)
- RSC Green Chemistry Award 2003
- Zeneca Senior Academic Award 2004
- RSC Reaction Mechanism Award 2004
- Royal Society Wolfson Merit Award 2006-2011
- RSC/GDCh-Alexander Todd-Hans Krebs Lectureship, 2007 (inaugural)
- RSC Tilden Lecturer awarded 2007 (for 2008/9 academic year)
- EPSRC Senior Research Fellowship (2007-2012)
- 12th Thieme Lecturer on Organic and Bioorganic Chemistry (2008)
- RSC Stereochemistry Award 2009
- GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca & Pfizer prize for Process Research, 2009
VISITING PROFESSORSHIPS / SPECIAL INVITED LECTURES
- Visiting Professor at Florence University (November, 1995)
- Guest Lecturer at Munster University, Germany, (January, 1996)
- Intercantonal Convention Lecturer, Switzerland (March, 1996)
- RSC Visiting Lecturer in Ireland (February/March 1997)
- Foreign Guest Speaker at Summer School, Lake Garda, Italy (June 1997)
- Swiss Guest Lectureship, Geneva/Basle, 2002
- Student Speaker at Clausthal, Germany, 2002-3.
- Student Speaker at Edmonton, Canada, 2002-3.
- Leo Pharmaceuticals Lecturer, Copenhagen, 2003.
- Student Speaker at Leipzig, Germany, 2004.
- Merck Frosst Lecturer, Canada 2005
- Student Speaker at Aachen (Nicloaus Lecturer), Germany, 2005.
- Student Speaker at Muenster (IRTG Meeting), Germany, 2009.
- AstraZeneca Distinguished Lecturer, Sherbrooke, Canada 2009
- Sepracor Lecturer, Dalhousie University, Canada, 2009.
- Felix Serratosa Lecture, Barcelona, 2010.
- H. C. Brown Lecturer, Purdue University, 2010.
- Student Speaker at Boston College, USA, 2010.
- Celltech (1993-9; 2007-).
- Chiroscience Advisory Board (1998-2000)
- ICI Advisory Board (1999-2002)
- Consultant to Pfizer (1999-2003)
- Zeneca Agrochemicals Advisory Board (1999)
- CelticCatalysts Scientific Advisory Board (2001-)
- Shasun Scientific Advisory Board (2007-)