UG conference and research fund
The HUMS Undergraduate Dissertation and Conference Fund may be used to assist students registered for undergraduate degree programmes (either single or joint honours) in the School of Humanities, comprising the Departments of:
- Classics & Ancient History
- History of Art
- Theology & Religious Studies
If you would like to make a request to the fund, you should begin by speaking with your dissertation supervisor (if the request is to support dissertation research) or your personal tutor (if the request is to support conference attendance).
- Please note that funds are limited and there is no automatic entitlement.
- The maximum total reimbursement of expenses claimed from the Fund in any one year may not normally exceed £200.
- All applications must be clearly broken down and fully supported by documentation showing expected costs.
- All applications must be discussed with and supported by a Dissertation Supervisor or Personal Tutor.
- Allowable expenses are: travel (at economy/standard-class rates), accommodation, subsistence and conference registration fees. A maximum of £70 per night will be allowed towards accommodation, and £15 a day towards subsistence.
- Students make a request to the Fund by asking a Dissertation Supervisor or Personal Tutor to support their claim, providing full details of expected costs associated with their planned research or conference trip. The Dissertation Supervisor/Personal Tutor sends an email of support to the DHTL with these details.
- The DHTL will consider the claim and inform the student (and his/her Dissertation Supervisor/Personal Tutor) that the proposed expenditure or some portion of it has been approved/rejected.
- A student whose claim has been approved should retain full receipts for the amount claimed as the School may request proof of expenditure incurred.
- The School can authorise claims for reimbursement only in the case of conferences/research trips which take place within the financial year (1 August-31 July) in which the claims are made.
- Students should make requests to the Fund at least one month in advance of the conference/research trip. Retrospective applications cannot normally be authorised.
These provisions may be varied by the School in special circumstances.