ACCIS research strongly represented at AIAA 2012
1 May 2012
Members of ACCIS were out in force at this year's AIAA Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference held in Honolulu, Hawaii in April. The conference was attended by Prof. Paul Weaver, Dr Stephen Daynes, Dr Alberto Pirrera, Dr Zhangming Wu and PhD students Neil Buckney, Alex Brinkmeyer and Matthew O'Donnell.
ACCIS had 8 papers presented at the conference. Two of our DTC students, Alex Brinkmeyer and Neil Buckney, impressed the judges of the student paper competition and were ranked 3rd and 4th of six finalists from 131 papers. Notably, they were the highest ranked students who had not already submitted their thesis.
List of papers presented:
- Eric Eckstein, Paul Weaver, 'Developments in Morphing Composites', AIAA-2012-1378.
- Zhangming Wu, Gangadharan Raju, Paul Weaver, 'Buckling of VAT Plates Using Energy Methods', AIAA-2012-1463. Alberto Pirrera,
- Marco Capuzzi, Neil Buckney, Paul Weaver, 'Optimization of Wind Turbine Blade Spars', AIAA-2012-1500.
- Neil Buckney, Steven Green, Alberto Pirrera, Paul Weaver, 'Wind Turbine Blade Structural Efficiency', AIAA-2012-1502.
- Alex Brinkmeyer, Matthew Santer, Alberto Pirrera, Paul Weaver, 'Pseudo-Bistable Morphing Composites', AIAA-2012-1576.
- Matthew O'Donnell, Paul Weaver, Enzo Cosentino, 'Debond Resisting Composite Stringers', AIAA-2012-1613.
- Stephen Daynes, Paul Weaver, 'Morphing Blade Fluid-Structure Interaction', AIAA-2012-1667.
- Enzo Cosentino, Paul Weaver, 'On the Effect of Transverse Normal Stresses in Shear-based Enhanced Single-layer Variational Formulations for Orthotropic Beams', AIAA-2012-1869.