Browse/search for people
Dr David Hone
Dr David Hone
BSc, MSc, PhD
Area of research
Behaviour, Ecology and Evolution of Mesozoic Ornithodirans
There are several broad themes to my research, though I have worked on a wide range of topics and contributed to a number of different areas of palaeontological and biological research. My work focuses on the (non-avian) dinosaurs as a whole and especially the carnivorous theropods, and also on the flying pterosaurs. However, I have also published on birds, and more basal archosaurs and archosauromorphs in the past. I often use a wide range of extant analogues in my research and thus also look at extant mammals, birds and reptiles as part of my work.
- Hone, DWE, Naish, D & Cuthill, IC 2012, Does mutual sexual selection explain the evolution of head crests in pterosaurs and dinosaurs?. Lethaia, vol 45., pp. 139-156
- Hone, DWE & Benton, MJ 2009, AN EVALUATION OF THE PHYLOGENETIC RELATIONSHIPS OF THE PTEROSAURS AMONG ARCHOSAUROMORPH REPTILES (vol 5, pg 465, 2007). Journal of Systematic Palaeontology, vol 7., pp. 505-505
Read more >
- Hone, DWE & Henderson, DM 2014, The posture of floating pterosaurs: Ecological implications for inhabiting marine and freshwater habitats. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, vol 394., pp. 89-98
- Hone, DWE & Naish, D 2013, The "species recognition hypothesis' does not explain the presence and evolution of exaggerated structures in non-avialan dinosaurs. Journal of zoology, vol 290., pp. 172-180
- Knell, RJ, Naish, D, Tomkins, JL & Hone, DWE 2013, Sexual selection in prehistoric animals: detection and implications. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, vol 28., pp. 38-47
- Hone, DWE, Choiniere, JN, Tan, Q & Xu, X 2013, An articulated pes from a small parvicursorine alvarezsauroid dinosaur from Inner Mongolia, China. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, vol 58., pp. 453-458
- Xu, X, Upchurch, P, Ma, Q, Pittman, M, Choiniere, J, Sullivan, C, Hone, DWE, Tan, Q, Tan, L, Xiao, D & Han, F 2013, Osteology of the Late Cretaceous alvarezsauroid Linhenykus monodactylus from China and comments on alvarezsauroid biogeography. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, vol 58., pp. 25-46
- Elgin, RA & Hone, DWE 2013, Pneumatization of an immature azhdarchoid pterosaur. Cretaceous Research, vol 45., pp. 16-24
- Knell, RJ, Naish, D, Tomkins, JL & Hone, DWE 2013, Is sexual selection defined by dimorphism alone? A reply to Padian and Horner. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, vol 28., pp. 250-251
- Hone, DWE, Tischlinger, H, Frey, E & Roeper, M 2012, A New Non-Pterodactyloid Pterosaur from the Late Jurassic of Southern Germany. PLOS ONE, vol 7.
Edit this profile If you are Dr David Hone, you can edit this page. Login required.