The school is recognised as one of the UK's most prominent centres for international research excellence and provides a dynamic, intellectually-stimulating environment. Our researchers are renowned as world-leaders in volcanology, isotope geochemistry, palaeobiology, experimental petrology and seismology.
- Crustal Magmatism, Volcanism and Geological Risk
- Dynamics and Architecture of the Solid Earth
- Earth Surface Processes
- Evolution of Biodiversity and Morphology
- Planetary Formation, Structure and Dynamics
- Resources and Reservoirs
Interdisciplinary research groups
Staff in the School of Earth Sciences are also involved in some of the University's interdisciplinary research groups including:
- Bristol Isotope Group
- Bristol Biogeochemistry Research Centre
- Cabot Institute
- Bristol Oceans Past and Present (BOPP)
- Centre for Environmental and Geophysical Flows
- Coral Reef Research at Bristol
- Interface Analysis Centre
How our research rates
98% of our research activity is considered to be in the top two categories: "world-leading" (4*) and "internationally excellent" (3*).
These results are from the most recent UK-wide assessment of research quality, conducted by the Higher Education Funding Council for England.
The school is currently involved in a wide range of research projects, many of which address some of the world's biggest challenges.
We are home to state-of-the-art laboratories capable of simulating temperature and pressure conditions at hundreds of kilometres deep within our planet; recreating conditions in ancient oceans and atmospheres; enabling us to understand the cycling of carbon in the environment and to investigate the evolution of life on Earth.
Looking to join us?
Future of science
Scientists discuss what it means to be a scientist in the 21st century in our new films.
World and UK rankings
- 2019 Complete University Guide - Geology : 8th in the UK
- 2018 QS World ranking by subject - Earth & Marine Sciences: 16th in the world and 4th in the UK
- 2018 US News Best Global Universities - Geosciences: 15th in the world and 2nd in the UK
- 2018 ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects - Earth Sciences: 15th in the world and 2nd in the UK
- 2017 CWUK World University Rankings – Paleontology: 1st in the world