- 1984-1987 BEng in Civil Engineering, University of Bristol. Graduated with first class honours.
- 1987-1992 Structural Engineer with Ove Arup and Partners.
- 1992-1994 Research Associate, University of Bristol.
- 1994 CEng MICE. Chartered membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE).
- 1995 MIStructE. Chartered member of the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE).
- 1998 PhD in Civil Engineering, University of Bristol. Thesis title The characterisation and optimisation of earthquake shaking table performance.
- 1994- Lecturer in Civil Engineering, University of Bristol. Senior Lecturer since 2005.
After graduation I worked in industry for several years as a Chartered Civil and Structural Engineer. Projects I worked on include 'The Brooks' shopping center in Winchester, 'The Galleries' shopping centre in Bristol, Lloyds Bank Headquarters at Cannons Marsh Bristol and the River Aire cable stay footbridge in Leeds. In 1994 I joined the Earthquake Engineering Research Centre at Bristol University. Since then I have worked to develop a better understanding of how various types of structure respond to earthquake and other types of dynamic loading, in many cases using large scale laboratory tests to validate my theories. I also continue to be actively involved with several professional engineering organisations including:
- Society of Earthquake and Civil Engineering Dynamics (SECED). (Member since 1995 and on committee from 1996 to 2002)
- Earthquake Engineering Field Investigation Team (EEFIT). (Member since 1995 and on committee from 1996 to 2002, vice chairman 2001 to 2002)
- IStructE Western Counties Branch committee. (Committee member since 2004 and branch chairman in 2010)
- IStructE Academic Qualifications Panel. (Committee member 2005 to 2010)
- IStructE Council. (Council member 2010 to date)