Browse/search for people
Professor Julian Booker
Professor Julian Booker
Professor of Mechanical Design Engineering
BEng, PhD(Hull), CEng, FIMechE
My main research focus is the development of design methods with particular emphasis on statistical and probabilistic approaches to manage uncertainty and provide greater confidence when designing. I am also interested in the structural integrity and frictional properties of machine elements, and the design of novel electromechanical machines for renewable energy generation and industrial actuation.
Engineering a product is very much a design and manufacture driven exercise, and these two subject areas ‘design’ and ‘manufacture’ within mechanical engineering have always interested me. Following an apprenticeship at ICI, I was sponsored to study Engineering Design and Manufacture at the University of Hull. After graduating, I took a position as a mechanical design engineer at a local material handling company, and then a Research Assistant back at Hull developing and implementing design methods. A lectureship followed at Bristol. The experiences along the way contribute to the way I conduct my research even now, and also provide some interesting case studies and anecdotes when teaching design and manufacture subjects.
My teaching philosophy is to provide students with the practical methods and knowledge necessary to conceive ideas, demonstrate their functional and economic performance and formulate plans to realise and prototype their designs, all under an integrated design and manufacturing curriculum. This approach prepares students for the workplace by mirroring industrial product development trends, and is supported by a wealth of experience in industry and using case studies from my research in design method development.
- Design methods
- structural integrity
- machine design
- Wrobel, R, Williamson, SJ, Booker, JD & Mellor, PH, 2016, Characterising the ‘in situ’ Thermal Behaviour of Selected Electrical Machine Insulation and Impregnation Materials. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol 52., pp. 4678-4687
- Booker, JD, Lock, RJ, Williamson, SJ & Gómez, JF, 2016, Effective practices for the concept design of electromechanical systems. Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology, vol 14., pp. 489-506
- McMillan, MD, Booker, JD, Smith, DJ, Onisa, CF, Korsunsky, AM, Song, X, Baimpas, N & Evans, A, 2016, Analysis of increasing torque with recurrent slip in interference-fits. Engineering Failure Analysis, vol 62., pp. 58-74
- Williamson, SJ, Griffo, A, Stark, BH & Booker, JD, 2016, A Controller for Single-Phase Parallel Inverters in a Variable-Head Pico-Hydropower Off-Grid Network. Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks, vol 5., pp. 114-124
- Simpson, N, Wrobel, R, Booker, J & Mellor, P, 2016, Multi-Physics Experimental Investigation into Stator-Housing Contact Interface. in: 8th IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD 2016). IET
- Williamson, S, Wrobel, R, Yon, J, Booker, J & Mellor, P, 2016, Effects of Insulation Ageing on the Conductive Heat Transfer from the Winding Body into Machine Periphery/Stator Core Pack.
- Wrobel, R, Williamson, SJ, Booker, JD & Mellor, P, 2016, Characterising the Performance of Selected Electrical Machine Insulation Systems. in: 2015 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE 2015): Proceedings of a meeting held 20-24 September 2015, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), pp. 4857-4864
- Woodhead, J, Truman, CE & Booker, JD, 2015, Modelling of Dynamic Friction in the Cold Forming of Plain Spherical Bearings. in: WIT Transactions on Engineering Sciences: Surface Effects and Contact Mechanics including Tribology XII. WIT Press
- Van Gelderen, D, Rosahl, K, Booker, JD & Smith, DJ, 2015, Monte Carlo Simulations of the effects of warm pre-stress on the scatter in fracture toughness. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol 134., pp. 124-147
- Gomez, JF, Booker, JD & Mellor, P, 2015, 2D shape optimization of leaf-type crossed flexure pivot springs for minimum stress. Precision Engineering - Journal of the International Societies for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, vol 42., pp. 6-21
Professor Booker currently teaches 1 courses:
Edit this profile If you are Professor Julian Booker, you can edit this page. Login required.