Browse/search for people
Professor Nishan Canagarajah
Professor Nishan Canagarajah
BA (Hons) Cantab, PhD(Cantab)
Nishan's research contributions in image segmentation, texture classification and content-based video compression are internationally recognised and have led to a number of invited papers and presentations. His research on audio signal processing led to an interactive exhibit, Virtual Drum, at the London Science Museum. He has also published 2 books, over 150 refereed papers, and submitted 6 patent applications. His research interests include image and video coding, multi-view video compression and synthesis, information fusion, content-based retrieval and the application of signal processing to audio and medical electronics. Nishan is currently leading a number of large projects funded by EPSRC, EC and Industry. He is a member of the EPSRC Peer Review College.
Professor Nishan Canagarajah was born in Sri Lanka in 1966. He received the BA (Hons) and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Cambridge, UK in 1989 and 1993 respectively. In 1993 he joined the University of Bristol as a Research Assistant where he worked on the design of flexible mobile communication systems. In 1994 he was appointed as a Lecturer within the same Department where he was promoted to a Senior Lecturer in 1999, a Reader in 2001, and became a Professor in 2004.
- image and video processing
- content based indexing and retrieval of multimedia
- visual perception and modelling
- image fusion
- medical imaging
- signal separation
- audio signal processing
- Gibson, D, Burghardt, T, Campbell, N & Canagarajah, N, 2015, TOWARDS AUTOMATING VISUAL IN-FIELD MONITORING OF CROP HEALTH.
- Bocus, MZ, Coon, J, Canagarajah, C, Armour, S, Doufexi, A & McGeehan, J, 2012, Per-subcarrier antenna selection for H.264 MGS/CGS video transmission over cognitive radio networks. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol 61., pp. 1060 - 1073
- Kamnoonwatana, N, Agrafiotis, D & Canagarajah, N, 2012, Flexible Adaptive Multiple Description Coding for Video Transmission. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol 22., pp. 1 - 11
- Gormus, ET, Canagarajah, N & Achim, A, 2012, A novel decision fusion approach to improving classification accuracy of hyperspectral images. in: International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS)., pp. 4158-4161
- Chen, X, Canagarajah, CN, Nunez-Yanez, JL & Vitulli, R, 2012, Lossless video compression based on backward adaptive pixel-based fast motion estimation. Signal Processing: Image Communication, vol 27., pp. 961?972
- Tunc, E, Canagarajah, N & Achim, A, 2012, Dimensionality Reduction of Hyperspectral Images Using Empirical Mode Decompositions and Wavelets. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing.
- Anantrasirichai, N, Canagarajah, C, Redmill, D, Akbari, AS & Bull, D, 2011, Colour volumetric compression for realistic view synthesis applications. Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol 53., pp. 25-51
- Kamnoonwatana, N, Agrafiotis, D & Canagarajah, N, 2011, Rate Controlled Redundancy-Adaptive Multiple Description Video Coding. Signal Processing: Image Communication, vol 26., pp. 205 - 219
- Wan, T, Canagarajah, C & Achim, A, 2011, Segmentation of noisy colour images using Cauchy distribution in the complex wavelet domain. IET Image Processing, vol 5 (2)., pp. 159 - 170
- Bocus, M, Coon, J, Canagarajah, C, McGeehan, J, Armour, S & Doufexi, A, 2011, Resource allocation for OFDMA-based cognitive radio networks with application to H.264 scalable video transmission. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, vol 2011 (2011), article ID 245673., pp. 1 - 10
Edit this profile If you are Professor Nishan Canagarajah, you can edit this page. Login required.