High Performance Networks Group
Single-mode fibre in optical communication
The High Performance Networks (HPN) Group, led by Professor Reza Nejabati, specialises in the application of advanced hardware and software technologies, targeting the future optical networks for Internet of Things (IoTs), data centres, grid/cloud based applications and distributed technologies etc. The Group is equipped with world-class laboratories, including state of the art optical transmission testbeds and software-defined network experimental platforms.
The Group has been at the forefront of world research and development in the fields of:
- Next generation optical transmission networks
- Optical packet and burst switching
- Optical data centre solutions and architecture
- Grid and cloud networking
- Software defined networking (SDN) and optical network virtualisation
- Hybrid-network domains orchestration and service management
- Smart City ICT Solutions.
The HPN laboratory has dedicated connectivity to both national and international research network infrastructures, and forms part of the UK National Dark Fibre Infrastructure Service (NDFIS). This network infrastructure has enabled the development of close collaborations with leading research institutions and industry across the UK, Europe, USA, Brazil and Japan.