Below are a list of links to external pages relating to the following energy and environmental issues:
- Waste and recycling
- Energy and Water
- Built Environment
- Environmental Legislation
- Other University's Environmental Sites
- BUST - Bristol University Sustainability Team (Student Group)
- CIWEM - A registered charity and professional body that is working for a better environment. They have many resources on their website covering topics such as water resources and efficiency, environmental management and sustainable development, as well as offering professional development opportunities.
- Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges (EAUC) - Association with the aim of raising the profile of environmental management and facilitate improvement of environmental performance in member institutions.
- DEFRA - Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Department for Transport
- EcoJam - Your Local Green and Ethical Scene
- ENDS Environmental Data Service - Environmental Information for Professionals.
- Environment Agency - the leading public body responsible for protecting and improving the environment in England and Wales.
- Ends Europe - Europe's Environmental News Service
- Higher Education Environmental Performance Improvement (HEEPI) - Project to improve environmental performance within Higher Education primarily through environmental benchmarking
The Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) - A not-for-profit organisation established to promote best practice standards in environmental management, auditing and assessment
People and Planet - UK student action on world poverty, human rights and the environment
Waste and recycling
- Recycling in Bristol - Bristol City Council
- Envirowise - Practical environmental advice for business
- Let's Recycle.com - information on recycling and waste management including a directory of recycling and waste management companies.
- Material Exchange Provides a free service which allows you to list and look for materials in an online catalogue.
- Rethink Rubbish - gives the low-down on the growing problem of household rubbish in the UK and some quick and easy steps to help solve the problem.
- Waste Connect - The UK recycling database. Find your local recycling facilities
- Waste Watch - national organisation promoting and encouraging action on the 3Rs - waste reduction, reuse and recycling.
- WRAP - creating markets for recycled resources
Energy and Water
- Bristol and Somerset Energy Efficiency Advice Centre - Information about energy efficiency in the home.
- Bristol Water
- Carbon Trust - The Carbon Trust is developing and implementing programmes that will accelerate the take-up of low carbon technologies. This site provides details of the Trusts' current and future programmes.
- Energy Office
- Energy Saving Trust - Information about transport, renewable energy and energy efficiency at home and in the workplace.
- Europa - Information about environmental policy across Europe.
- OFWAT: Office of Water Services The economic regulator for the water industry in England and Wales.
- Water Information System for Europe (WISE) - Information on European Water Policy
- Water UK - working on behalf of the water industry for a sustainable future
- Wessex Water
- National Green Specification (CIPS) - towards sustainable construction. The NGS writes and distribute ready-made specification clauses for sustainable building products available in the UK; collates and distributes product information; collates and distributes information relating to sustainable design; and provides a forum for architects/specifiers
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) - A guide on environmental purchasing in practice
- Institute for Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) - Environmental Purchasing in Practice: guidance for organisations
- Netregs - Plain language guidance for businesses on environmental legislation, and how to comply with it.
- EUROPA - European Union environmental legislation
- Her Majesty's Stationery Office - Delivers a wide range of services to the public, information industry and government relating to access and re-use of government information. Publishes legislation online.
Environment Agency - The Hazardous Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2005 are designed to ensure hazardous wastes are not inappropriately mixed, and that they are appropriately handled, stored and disposed of. This ensures hazardous waste does not cause harm to people or to the environment, either immediately or over an extended period of time. Full guidance on Hazardous waste and classification is available on the Environment Agency’s website.
Other University's Environmental Sites
- Anglia Polytechnic University
- Imperial College London
- Leeds Metropolitan University
- Oxford Brookes University
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Birmingham
- University of Cambridge
- University College Dublin
- University of Derby
- University of Edinburgh
- University of East Anglia
- University of Hertfordshire
- University of Leeds
- University of Oxford
- University of Newcastle of Tyne
- University of Sheffield
- University of Southampton
- University of Warwick
- University of The West of England
Previous Awareness Raising Events
Sustainability aims to increase awareness of environmental issues and good housekeeping practices through:
- Environment Week
- Attendance at University events, for example FRESH, Purchasing exhibition. If you are holding a seminar, exhibition or alternative event the Sustainability would be interested in giving a presentation or having a stand. Please contact Sustainability to discuss this further.
- Presentations to departments. If you would like us to give a short presentation to your department please contact Sustainability
- Provision of information through induction programmes, poster campaigns, newsletter articles, presentations.
- Sustainability has given presentations to 6 departments over the last year (2007) and taken part in the support services conference and the student environment festival.
- Of course, for the last 3 years the University has run the pioneering Green Impact Awards.