What is it?
Wimba Create (previously called Course Genie) is an add-in program for Microsoft Word that enables you to produce interactive online tutorials. You can create entirely new tutorials using Wimba Create or convert existing Word documents such as lecture notes or handouts.
Why use it?
There are a good range of products on the market that can be used to create online tutorials. Reasons to use Wimba Create include:
- The University has a site wide licence
- Full training and support is available
- It is very easy to use
- It has a good range of features, e.g. self test questions, feedback, etc
- You can integrate interactive activities created with other tools
- It is standards compliant
See our page on online tutorials for further information.
Example tutorial: peripheral nervous system examination - this uses 'drag and drop' exercises and embedded video clips to make the tutorial more relevant to real-life medical practice. This tutorial was created by third-year medical students as one of their optional units. Other examples of outstanding and very creative student projects can be found on the Medical School's web site.
How do I start using Wimba Create?
We advise you begin by attending the workshop Creating Online Tutorials or contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to request a consultation with one of our team who specialise in this area.
When you are ready to start building a tutorial you will need to arrange for the software to be installed. To get the software installed on a University managed computer, put a request in to your local IT support who should know what to do.
Installing Wimba Create on a non-UoB computer
- Log into Blackboard using your standard UoB username and password
- Click on 'Courses' tab (top left of the screen), and type 'Wimba Create' into the search box. Press Enter
- When your search results appear, scroll down to the bottom of the screen, and click the ‘Enrol’ button next to the single search result
- Enter the access code 'wimbacreate'
- Once you are enrolled, click on the ‘Software’ tab within the Wimba Create Blackboard course, and follow the instructions to install Wimba Create on your computer
- Once installed, the User Guide (found under the 'Teach Yourself' tab of the Blackboard course) can help you learn how to use Wimba Create