Please note: this Group has been discontinued. For current information see programme and unit approval
A working group is establishing the process for 2012/13 and onwards.
There were interim arrangements for the approval of new and revised units and programmes in place for 2011/12.
The key functions of the Group are to satisfy itself that programme and unit proposals coming before it are academically appropriate and sound, and that sufficient resource can and will be made available to ensure the successful delivery of such programmes.
Please see the programme and unit approval pages for more information.
1. To make recommendations to the Education Committee with regard to proposals for:
a. new programmes
b. the withdrawal of programmes
c. changes to ordinances and regulations
(NB. In considering these proposals, the Group shall take into account the need to maintain and enhance academic standards and quality of learning opportunities, University and faculty policies and strategies and external reference points such as the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications and national subject benchmark statements.)
2. To advise Programme Directors, Schools and Faculties on matters of compliance and enhancement with regard to proposals for new and revised programmes and provide feedback.
3. To make decisions on behalf of the Education Committee with regard to proposals for:
a. major changes to existing programmes;
b. new mandatory units and changes to existing mandatory units*
c. new open units and changes to existing open units*
d. changes in programme titles
4. To advise Education Committee upon the University’s alignment with relevant sections of the QAA’s code of practice, specifically Section 2: Collaborative provision and flexible and distributed learning (including e-learning) and Section 7: Programme design, approval, monitoring and review.
5. To review, annually, the operation of the processes for approval of new and revised programmes and units and make appropriate recommendations to Education Committee.
*These responsibilities are delegated to the relevant faculty committees.
1. Chair, appointed by the Pro Vice Chancellor (Education)
2. One representative from each Faculty, who shall normally be a member of Education Committee or their designate
3. The Academic Registrar
4. A representative of the Education Support Unit, who shall serve as Secretary
Before Programme Approval Group was established, Validation Group performed a similar role. Past agendas and minutes can be found by visiting the Validation Group page.
Past Programme Approval Group papers can be found by clicking here.