Browse/search for people
Dr Olivia Maynard
Dr Olivia Maynard
Senior Research Associate
My interests are in healthy behaviour change and choice architecture interventions ("nudging"), with a focus on tobacco and alcohol use. I use a wide range of experimental techniques including eye-tracking, electroencephalography (EEG), functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), randomised controlled trials (RCTs) and naturalistic field studies. The work conducted during my PhD (completed in 2014) was some of the first to use cognitive neuroscience techniques to examine the effectiveness of plain packaging for tobacco products. I have recently been awarded a research grant from CRUK to develop this experimental work and examine how choice architecture interventions can optimise tobacco health warnings among daily cigarette smokers.
I am always keen to engage the public and policy makers with my research. My research on plain packaging contributed to UK and worldwide policy debates on this issue and I was awarded an ESRC Outstanding Engagement Award for this work. In addition to running public engagement events at festivals and other public events, I regularly blog about research for the Mental Elf site and have also blogged for the Guardian.
- Senior Research Associate, University of Bristol (2014-present)
- PhD Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2010-2014)
Selected awards and prizes
- The Academy of Medical Sciences Clinical Research Oral Presentation Prize (2016)
- British Association of Psychopharmacology President's Poster Prize (2015)
- ESRC Outstanding Early Career Impact Prize (2014)
- University of Bristol 2014 Engagement Award (2014)
- The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Medical Research Poster Prize (2014)
- ESRC Research Fellowship Placement Scheme Award (2013)
- The Troscianko Prize for Outstanding Excellence in Presenting Research (2013)
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco Europe (SRNT-E) - Communications Officer (2014-present)
- Federation of European Neuroscience Society Board Member - SRNT-E representative (2014-present)
I have contributed to the following courses:
- Big Ideas in Science, Undergraduate, University of Bristol (2014-2017)
- Psychopharmacology, Postgraduate, University of Bristol (2016)
- Addictions, Postgraduate, Saymyook University, Seoul, South Korea (2016)
- Tobacco Control, Postgraduate, UK Centre for Tobacco Control (2013-2015)
- Neuropsychology, Undergraduate, University of Bristol (2012-2014)
- Individual Differences, Undergraduate, University of Bristol (2014)
- PhD co-supervisor (2016-present)
- Third year placement co-supervisor (2012-2017)
- Third year dissertation co-supervisior (2012-2017)
- Masters dissertation co-supervisor (2014-2015)
- Troy, D, Attwood, A, Maynard, O, Scott-Samuel, N, Hickman, M, Marteau, T & Munafo, M, 2017, Effect of glass markings on drinking rate in social alcohol drinkers. European Journal of Public Health, vol 27., pp. 352-356
- Maynard, OM, Brooks, JCW, Munafò, MR & Leonards, U, 2017, Neural mechanisms underlying visual attention to healthwarnings on branded and plain cigarette packs. Addiction, vol 112., pp. 662-672
- Maynard, O, Misak, M & Munafo, M, 2016, Variation in health warning effectiveness on cigarette packs: a need for regulation?. European Journal of Public Health, vol 26., pp. 836-838
- Maynard, OM, Skinner, AL, Troy, DM, Attwood, AS & Munafò, MR, 2016, Association of Alcohol Consumption with Perception of Attractiveness in a Naturalistic Environment. Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol 51., pp. 142-147
- Stothart, G, Maynard, OM, Lavis, RJ & Munafo, MR, 2016, Neural correlates of cigarette health warning avoidance among smokers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol 161., pp. 155-162
- Hogarth, L, Maynard, OM, Munafò, MR & Maynard, O, 2015, Plain cigarette packs do not exert Pavlovian to instrumental transfer of control over tobacco-seeking. Addiction, vol 110., pp. 174-182
- Maynard, OM, Leonards, U, Attwood, AS, Bauld, L, Hogarth, L & Munafò, MR, 2015, Effects of first exposure to plain cigarette packaging on smoking behaviour and attitudes: a randomised controlled study. BMC Public Health, vol 15.
- Troy, D, Maynard, O, Hickman, M, Attwood, A & Munafo, M, 2015, The Effect of Glass Shape on Alcohol Consumption in a Naturalistic Setting: A Feasibility Study. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, vol 1.
- Maynard, OM, Attwood, A, O'Brien, L, Brooks, S, Hedge, C, Leonards, U & Munafò, MR, 2014, Avoidance of cigarette pack health warnings among regular cigarette smokers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
- Maynard, OM, Leonards, U, Attwood, AS, Bauld, L, Hogarth, L & Munafò, MR, 2014, Plain packaging of cigarettes and smoking behavior: study protocol for a randomized controlled study. Trials, vol 15., pp. 252
Edit this profile If you are Dr Olivia Maynard, you can edit this page. Login required.