US student loans - FAQs
- How do I apply for a US Direct Loan?
- How much am I entitled to borrow?
- What do I need to do if I withdraw from my studies while being in receipt of a student loan?
- Can I still register if my loan is not in place?
- Can I apply for a PLUS loan after I arrive?
1. How do I apply for a US Direct Loan?
In order for your loan to be processed, you need to complete the following elements online at www.studentloans.gov
- Entrance counselling
- Master Promissory Note
If you withdraw from your programme of study you should inform the Income Office together with information about any 'unspent' loan funds. Unspent loan funds is the amount that you are not entitled to retain due to your withdrawal from study and this amount must be repaid to the US Government.
There would be nothing to stop you registering if your loan is not in place. The main reason that students are unable to register is if they owe a debt to the University from the previous academic year.
If you have only applied for a Stafford loan in the first instance, but upon arrival, decide that you also need a Grad/Parent PLUS loan, you should still be able to apply for one.