Academic transcripts and official documents
Academic transcripts and official documents
- What are they?
- How much do they cost?
- How can I apply for an academic transcript?
- How long will they take?
- Transcripts for incoming Erasmus and Study Abroad students
Official documents (letters and certificates)
- Student Status/Certification Letter
- Council Tax Exemption Certificate
- Bank Letter
- Documents for incoming Erasmus and Study Aboard students
- Verification of awards and replacement degree certificates
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you cannot find the answer on this page, please also see our FAQs.
An academic transcript is an official document that shows:
- The units which have been taken in each year of study;
- The assessment and reassessment (as appropriate) grades for each unit;
- The total number of credits gained in each unit taken and in each year of study;
- The degree awarded, degree classification and date of award (where applicable).
Transcripts are provided in sealed envelopes with the University stamp to prove that the document is authentic; we are not able to provide electronic versions. Each copy has an accompanying sheet explaining the grading system.
We are not able to provide electronic versions.
Every graduating taught postgraduate and undergraduate student will be automatically sent one free copy of their final transcript to their home address (as registered by the student on StudentInfo) after graduation.
Thereafter charges for additional copies of transcripts will be applied as follows:
- If you graduated in or after 2005 you will be charged £10 for the first copy and £5 for each subsequent copy;
- If you graduated before 2005 you will be charged £20 for the first copy and £5 for each subsequent copy.
We regret that academic transcripts cannot be issued until payment, if appropriate, has been received.
Interim Transcripts: There is no charge for transcripts requested by current students (known as interim transcripts).
Transcripts are available to order via the Faculty of Social Sciences and Law Online Shop. You will be asked to choose the type and quantity of transcript, enter your details and make a secure online payment (where applicable).
The University cannot accept responsibility for transcripts that are lost in the post as we have no control over item(s) once they have left the University. Please ensure you provide a full and safe postal address your delivery of your transcripts.
Please note it is not possible to order or apply for a transcript by email or telephone.
Transcript orders take up to 10 working days to complete as standard (for awards before 2005 this may take a little longer), although during preparations for student graduation (January and July) delays can occur and production of transcripts will take longer. It is therefore recommended that you order your transcripts as early as possible to ensure they are produced and dispatched in time for any deadlines you may have.
Collection: You will receive an email when the transcript(s) is available for collection / has been posted.
If you have any questions regarding academic transcripts please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Official documents (letters and certificates)
The following documents can be requested using the Online Shop:
Please ensure you submit requests for documents in good time to meet any deadlines you have been given. Letters and certificates can take between 1-3 workings days to produce and are only available in hard copy.
- Student Status/Certification Letter: A letter confirming your status as a student that includes you programme title, start/end dates, expected graduation and home/term address.
- Bank Letter: For students wishing to open a new bank account. Please note if you are not staying in halls of residence then we will need to see a copy of your tenancy agreement.
- Certificates for Council Tax Exemption*: Please note most students will not require a council tax exemption certificate. There is further information about this on the Accommodation Office Council Tax factsheet from the Accommodation Office website.
You can only submit requests for yourself, please do not order documents on behalf of other students.
Collection: You will receive an email when the document(s) is available for collection / has been posted.
If you have any questions regarding the above documents, please contact email@example.com.
*For the majority of students, your eligibility for Council Tax exemption will be confirmed with Bristol City Council electronically three times a year. You can view the date your details were last confirmed to Bristol City Council in StudentInfo under your Term Address (see 'Last Notification Date to Bristol City Council'). Therefore, you should only need a council tax certificate from the Faculty if you are not resident within the Bristol City Council.
The Faculty Office can provide confirmation that you are a student at the University via a student status/certification letter (see above).
If you require a character reference you will need to contact your School.
Incoming Erasmus and Study Abroad students should contact the Global Opportunities Team in the International Office if they need to request a certification letter, bank letter or Certificate of Full-time Study (for Council Tax exemption).
CAS Number/Visa Extensions
If you are a current student and you need a new CAS in order to apply for a visa extension please contact International Student Visa Advice and Compliance for further advice and to make an appointment with an adviser. The contact details can be found at http://www.bristol.ac.uk/directory/visas/contacts/
If you will be a new PG student and you have not yet received your CAS please contact you school.
Please remember to quote your student number in all correspondence with us.
The Education Process Improvement and Records Team provide verification of awards and replacement degree certificates.
For further information, including fees payable, see the awards, certificates, results and verifications page.
If you have any queries you can contact the Education Process Improvement and Records Team by email: firstname.lastname@example.org