Policy, strategy and compliance
We first adopted an environmental policy in 1997, and review it annually. Our current policy and strategies are listed below. Please contact us for access to our historical records.
The University introduced a new Vision and Strategy in 2016 which includes Sustainability as one of its six main themes. A new Sustainability policy 2017-2023 (PDF, 103kB) which aligns with the University’s new vision and strategy was agreed in late 2017. New strategies in support of this will be published in early 2018.
- Carbon and Water Strategy 2017 (PDF, 567kB)
- Sustainable Travel Strategy (PDF, 109kB)
- Responsible Investment (PDF, 254kB)
- Ethics and Sustainability Food Policy (PDF, 324kB)
- Food Waste Policy (PDF, 616kB)
- Circular Economy Strategy (PDF, 123kB)
- Emissions Discharges and EMS Strategy (PDF, 90kB)
- Staff and Student Engagement & Behaviour Change Strategy (PDF, 87kB)
- Space Utilisation Strategy (PDF, 103kB)
- Sustainable Buildings Strategy (PDF, 242kB)
- Living Estate Strategy 2017-2022 (PDF, 230kB)
We continue to make considerable progress towards our strategy goals and we are pleased to present the 2016-17 Annual Report Highlights, as well as the full version of the report below:
- Highlights - Sustainability Annual Report 2016-17 (PDF, 6,645kB)
- Sustainability Annual Report 2016-17 (PDF, 802kB)
Reports on investment in Sustainability
People and Planet Audit Information
Please find additional information for reviewing People and Planet’s University League:
Overview of the Sustainability initiative is provided by the Sustainability Steering Group Sustainability steering group terms of reference (PDF, 254kB). The Pro-Vice Chancellor for Education and Students is the institutional lead for Sustainability, with the lead for Estates and carbon provided by the University’s Bursar/Director of Estates.
Environmental Management System
We have achieved certification to the world’s most recognised environmental management system (EMS) standard: ISO 14001.
ISO 14001 is an international standard that provides a framework for organisations to understand, manage and improve their environmental impacts and performance. It helps us put environmental management at the heart of everything we do, enabling us to achieve success in our sustainability goals.
Download our current ISO14001:2004 certificate ISO certificate (PDF, 911kB).
Find out more about our Environmental Management System (ISO 14001:2004)
BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Methodology)
We use BREEAM as our framework to drive forward the sustainability agenda in all our building and refurbishment projects. BREEAM is one of the most established accredited assessment tools in terms of measuring how 'environmental' a new building is.
Discover more about some of our BREEAM and SKA-accredited construction projects.