Intercalated degrees at Bristol
An intercalated award is an additional undergraduate degree (BSc or BA) or master's level programme that you complete in an intensive year away from your normal medical, dental or veterinary studies. All UK and international medical, dental and vet students can apply to intercalate at our prestigious University, set in the friendly, vibrant city of Bristol.
Click to see details of our Intercalation Fair 2017 (PDF, 449kB) which takes place December 12th
Benefits of intercalation
Pausing your studies to intercalate gives you the chance to:
- Delve deeper into a subject or specialism that interests you;
- Improve your career prospects in a competitive graduate market (for medical students, a successful intercalated year gains extra points which can help you secure the F1 placement you want when you graduate);
- Enhance your skills in research, critical scientific thinking, evaluating evidence and academic writing;
- Make new friends and experience life as a student away from your clinical programme.
What can I study?
You can study a BSc or BA after two or more years of study on your professional programme. You need to complete at least three years of your programme for entry on to our master’s level programmes. We offer the following intercalated degrees:
- Biochemistry (BSc)*
- Bioethics (BSc)
- Cancer Biology and Immunology (BSc)*
- Cellular and Molecular Medicine (BSc)*
- Childhood Studies (BSc)*
- Clinical Sciences (BSc) (formerly known as Health Sciences BSc)
- Functional and Clinical Anatomy (BSc)
- Genomic Medicine (BSc)
- Global Health (BSc)
- Global Wildlife Health and Conservation (MSc)
- Health Sciences Research (MRes)
- Medical Humanities (BA)
- Medical Microbiology (BSc)*
- Neuroscience (BSc)*
- Pharmacology (BSc)*
- Physiological Science (BSc)*
- Transfusion and Transplantation Sciences (MSc)
- Virology and Immunology (BSc)*
- Zoology (BSc)*
* One-year entry onto a three-year course. Check the course structure for the third year to find out what you will study.
You can check which courses you are eligible to apply for here.
External applicants from other institutions: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Current University of Bristol students: Email email@example.com
Funding for intercalation varies depending on where you live. Our Student Funding Office is here to provide you with up-to-date information about the financial support that is available.
How to apply - external students
External students can apply now for 2018/19.
Application deadline for external students
12 noon, Monday 15 January 2018.
How to apply - University of Bristol students
University of Bristol students can apply now for 2018/19.
Application deadline for University of Bristol students
12 noon, Monday 15 January 2018.
Supplementary application forms
For the following six programmes, supplementary application forms are required and these should be downloaded and completed ready to upload when making your application online. The programmes are:
Students who intercalate from other institutions are guaranteed an offer of accommodation subject to the normal conditions of Bristol's accommodation guarantee. Please contact the Accommodation Office for further details.