A leading centre for historical research, the Department of History has particular research strengths in three areas:
- Medieval and early-modern history
- Contemporary history (20th-century Britain and Europe);
- Colonial, global and transnational history.
These are a selection of projects led by our academics that receive external funding:
- The Cabot Project
- Dropping Out of Socialism
- Historical Photographs of China
- Power and the Water: Connecting Pasts with Futures
- Research and Enterprise in Arts and Creative Technology
- Women, Work and Value in Europe 1945-2015
- Thatcher's Pension Reforms and their Consequences
Engaging the public
We are passionate about our research and work hard to share our passions with the general public. Find out more about our public engagement.
Beyond the department
Interested in being a visiting researcher?
If you would like to be a visiting researcher at the University of Bristol, please see the School of Humanities' guidelines for visiting researchers, where you will also find an application form.