Guidance on different contracts


This guidance is intended to summarise the different kinds of contractual arrangement that exist at the University and the circumstances under which they may be appropriate.  Further guidance should be sought from the relevant Faculty HR Team.

Open-ended Contract

This is the most frequent form of contract and is used where there is an expectation that the work will continue on an on-going basis.   Such contracts will only be issued where appropriate authorisation has been obtained via the staffing establishment/annual budget setting process and University recruitment and selection procedures have been followed.   The Faculty HR Team is responsible for issuing all open-ended contracts.

Fixed Term Contract

In some situations, it may be more appropriate to offer the work on a fixed term basis.   The University’s fixed term contract framework sets out the circumstances under which a fixed term contract may be offered.   As with open-ended contracts above, fixed term contracts will only be issued where appropriate authorisation has been obtained and University recruitment and selection procedures have been followed.   Externally-funded posts are authorised at Faculty level and should be discussed with the relevant Faculty HR and Finance team in the first instance.  The Faculty HR Team is responsible for issuing all fixed-term contracts.

Hourly-Paid Teachers (HPTs)

The University’s Hourly Paid Teacher framework covers individuals who are engaged for at least four consecutive weeks (or if there is a pattern over a longer period, e.g.  every other week for 6 weeks) to teach students on undergraduate, postgraduate and lifelong learning programmes.  Individuals are appointed by Schools/Departments to teach on specific programmes and contracts are then issued each academic year by the Faculty HR Team.  Individuals are then paid for hours actually worked via submission of an hourly paid teacher fee claim form on a monthly basis.

Short term and casual arrangements

Short term and casual workers may be engaged directly by Schools/Divisions to meet a short-term temporary or fluctuating need.  Managers should refer to the Guidance for Schools/Divisions on the engagement of short term and casual workers for further information.

Temporary Agency Staff

Short term temporary workers may also be engaged via the Temporary Staffing Service (TSS) rather than directly via a casual contract.  Please contact the TSS for more information: .

Contracts for Services

There may be occasions where it is appropriate for the work to be carried out under a “contract for services”, or on a self-employed basis.  This is likely to be in circumstances where the school/division specifies the work to be done and the date by which it is to be completed, but beyond that the individual has freedom to carry out the work in the manner and at times of their own choosing.  This arrangement may also be used where a recognised “consultant” such as a trainer is brought in to deliver a service, such as a specific training course.  It is ultimately for the University to decide whether someone will be engaged and paid on a self-employed basis.  Guidance is available from the Finance Office Tax team on the typical factors of self-employed status.  Approval for a self-employed contract should be sought from the tax team prior to engagement of the individual.  Separate advice and guidance regarding contracts should be sought from the  Secretary’s Office.