School research clusters
Within the school, there are concentrations of expertise in defined and externally-acknowledged clusters:
- Art and Writing
- British Art Research Cluster (BARC)
- Early Italian Studies
- Film History
- Film Style and Aesthetics
- History and Historiography - Late Antiquity, Intellectual History and Ancient Economy
- Inter Religious Dialogue
- Investigation of Religious Practice
- Literature and Critical Theory
- Medical Humanities Research Cluster and Seminars
- Medieval and Early Renaissance Seminars
- Myth and Religion
- Penguin Archive
- Philosophical and Theological Investigation of Concepts
- Renaissance and Early Modern Studies
- Textual Studies
- Theatre History
- Transnational Modernisms Research Cluster (TMRC)
Faculty research centres
Members of the school are actively involved in the following faculty research centres, which provide a focus for collaborative and interdisciplinary work.
- Bristol Poetry Institute
- Centre for Buddhist Studies
- Centre for Christianity and Culture
- Centre for Medieval Studies
- Centre for Romantic and Victorian Studies
- Centre for Study of Colonial and Postcolonial Societies
- Centre for the Study of Visual and Literary Cultures in France
- Institute of Greece, Rome and the Classical Tradition
Other groups associated with the School
- Cabot Institute
- Institute for Advanced Studies
- Special Collections
- Theatre Collection
- Worldwide Universities Network
Research in the Faculty
Our research forms part of the overall research activities and strategies of the Faculty of Arts.
Active research projects
For a list of current research projects in the school, please see the faculty research website's list of active research projects.
Looking to join us?
Interested in being a visiting researcher?
If you would like to be a visiting researcher at the University of Bristol, please see the School of Humanities' guidelines for visiting researchers, where you will also find an application form.