The library has a large collection of UK and international newspapers, including many current publications and historic archives.
Use Library Search to find the title you are interested in.
When searching, it may be helpful to put the title in inverted commas, eg "north china herald".
Library Search will indicate the years available, and whether the library has the newspaper in print or provides online access.
Historic newspaper archives
The library gives you access to the following online newspaper archives:
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers
- British Newspapers, 1600-1950 (including the 17-18th Century Burney Collection of news media)
- Daily Mail Historical Archive, 1896-2004
- Economist Historical Archive, 1843-2007
- Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS) Daily Report, 1974-1996
- The Guardian (1821-2003)
- The Listener Historical Archive, 1929-1991
- North China Herald Online, 1850-1940s
- The Observer, 1791-2003
- Pravda Digital Archive, 1912-2014
- South Eastern Gazette, 1852-1912
- Telegraph Historical Archive, 1855-2000
- Times Digital Archive, 1785-2010
- TLS (Times Literary Supplement) Historical Archive, 1902-2011
- Times of India, 1838-2006
- Waterloo Directory of English Newspapers and Periodicals, 1800-1900
These are primarily legal databases, but also provide access to a range of sources, including UK national and regional newspapers, international newspapers and newswires, and foreign language news. Many of these sources are not listed in Library Search.
|Coverage||Includes Times (London) - access to most full-text articles from 1985 to present (although some freelance content is excluded). Complements the Times Digital Archive. Regional and local newspapers with excellent coverage of US state newspapers and UK regional papers such as Bristol (Evening) Post.||
Includes a significant range of national newspapers and newswires, regional newspapers, international newspapers and newswires of business, trade and industry. UK national newspapers include Daily Express, Daily Mail, Daily Mirror, Daily Telegraph, Evening Standard, Guardian, Independent and the Economist.
|How to browse||
|How to search||
The list of results displayed gives only brief details. To view the full article, click on the highlighted title of the article.
A small selection of print newspapers are also available in our libraries, including:
- Le Monde, El Pais and Frankfurter allgemeine Zeitung, foreign language newspapers (Arts and Social Sciences Library)
- Times Higher Education (Chemistry Library and Education Library, with some older issues held in the Research Reserve)
- Times Educational Supplement (Education Library, with some older issues held in the Research Reserve)
- Wall Street Journal (Arts and Social Sciences Library)
Many newspapers, magazines and periodicals are also available in the local public libraries, and especially in the Central Library on College Green.