Restart of Library Services
In line with government advice and university guidance, we are planning a resumption of certain aspects of Library Services that were curtailed as part of the initial response to COVID-19.
Work has been going on behind the scenes to look at safely providing access to physical library services over the coming months. This is part of a rolling programme of university building reopening within which the library is required to work.
Over the next month the Arts and Social Sciences Library will be opening its doors for collection of books from the ASSL and Research Reserve collections only. We will add updates about access to other libraries and study spaces to this page as that information becomes available. We strongly advise you to revisit or bookmark this page so that you remain aware of the latest developments and updates as we restart physical library services.
What will the service look like?
- You will be able to order books using a newly developed online form, books will be picked for you and you will be notified when these are ready for you to collect. This form will go live on Monday 6 July. Requests taken from this date will be used to gauge demand for the service. We will do our utmost to fulfil those requests received as soon as possible.
- Those sections of the Arts and Social Sciences Library that you will be able to access will subsequently open up at a point later in July. We will confirm the date when this will happen as soon as possible. When you come in to the building you will follow a newly mapped out route so that you can drop off books that you need to return and pick up books that you have ordered.
- Social distancing will apply and there will be no access to any areas of the library outside of the queueing pathway.
- You will not be able to study in the building as the study spaces are currently unavailable.
- As other University buildings become COVID-19-certified, enabling library staff to access other library collections, you will subsequently be able to additionally request books from these collections.
- Other services and facilities will become available over the coming months. These require planning in order to ensure appropriate set-up and safety for students and staff.
- Important! Many of you will have been using the Library Services virtual support since the University closed all buildings in March, including Live Chat, Library Support and Study Skills. All of these services will continue to be available so you need only come to campus when necessary. Consequently you are advised to continue to use our online services to access the content that you require and receive the support that you need. Please see our 'one-stop shop' page for guidance.
- Special Collections enquiries should be sent to email@example.com or voicemails can be left on 0117 928 8014. The Reading Room remains closed for the time being but staff can provide a copying service and will undertake some initial research on your behalf. Please see the Special Collections webpage for more information about the collections.