Your subject librarian
Tel: +44 (0)117 331 4308 | Internal 14308
Tel: +44 (0)117 428 2190 | Internal 82190
Contact me if you would like some advice. I can help you to:
Key subject resources
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS) - includes references dating back to 1951, with over 2,800 journals regularly indexed.
- Sociological Abstracts - covers the international literature in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences from 1963 to date.
- Social Services Abstracts - bibliographic coverage of current research focused on social work, human services, and related areas, including social welfare, social policy, and community development from 1980 to date.
- Social Care Online - extensive database of social care information, with everything from research briefings to reports, government documents, journal articles, and websites.
- Web of Science: Core Collection - databases available within the Web of Science Core Collection: Science Citation Index (1900-, with 1900-1945 limited to c.250 core journals); Social sciences Citation Index (1956-); Arts and Humanities Citation Index (1975-); Arts and Humanities Citation Index (1975-); Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Science (1990-); Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Social Science & Humanities (1990-).
- PsycINFO - comprehensive international database (sometimes mistakenly known as PsychINFO) covering summaries of journal articles, book chapters, technical reports and citations to dissertations in the field of Psychology and psychological aspects of related disciplines.
Skills and training
Your subject librarian will provide a programme of lectures and training on library and information skills, in consultation with your department or school.
A number of guides and video tutorials on searching databases will be available soon. In the meantime please contact your subject librarian if you require any help.
- Practical advice about your studies
- Library video tutorials - topics include: how to locate books and journals; understanding references on reading lists.
- Finding and using information - covering key aspects of information skills, including: researching a topic; effective use of Google; evaluating your search results; avoiding plagiarism.
- Referencing using EndNote
If there is a book you would like us to buy, please fill out the form.