Short Loan Collection (SLC)
The SLC in the Biological Sciences Library includes copies of the most heavily used books and journal articles, which are kept behind the Issue desk in the Library. These are often items on reading lists for students.
You can use the online catalogue
to find out if a particular book or journal is held in the SLC.
Further advice is available on the
Limits and fines
Ask at the Issue desk to borrow an SLC item: you may borrow a maximum of four items at any one time
- SLC loans are for use within the Library from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm or from 1.00 pm to 4.00 pm: they may also be borrowed overnight from 4.00 pm to 10.00 am the following day
- books borrowed at 4.00 pm on Friday are due for return by 10.00 am the following Monday
- take special care to return SLC items on time as they are in heavy demand and other readers may be wanting to use them
- fines for SLC items brought back late are particularly heavy
Renewals and reservations
- SLC loans can be renewed if they are not required by another reader but the renewal must be made with the item at the Issue desk
- use the online catalogue to reserve an SLC item for a time slot in the future: please do not book more than two short loan items for any one time slot
Academic staff wishing to have an item transferred to the SLC
Academic staff should contact the Subject Librarian for Biological Sciences, Barbara Costello, if they wish to have an item added to the SLC.