South West Institutions Middle Management Programme (SWIMM)
- 3 day SWIMM Event (includes 2 nights residential): Wednesday 30th March until Friday 1st April 2011
- 1 day Continuing Professional Development Event: Friday 14th October 2011
2011 SWIMM Programme (PDF 266KB)
2011 SWIMM Nomination Form (Word 44KB)
This well established programme has been developed by a group of senior managers and management development professionals in the HE sector. It gives middle managers the chance to reflect on their role and to further develop key management skills and techniques needed in today’s universities. Whilst single HEIs provide an excellent range of management programmes for their own internal consumption, there is huge benefit in working regionally with exposure to a wider range of practices.
By running this as a three day residential event and a one day CPD event we are able to introduce tools and concepts in a supportive atmosphere, away from the normal working environment, and build a future resource for the region. The programme will offer an ideal opportunity to network with peers in similar roles from across the sector.
The programme is both unique and innovative, the first of its kind to use this approach. It is highly participative, drawing on the experience of group members and providing frequent opportunities to reflect on current and best practice. By the end of the programme participants will have:
- Had an opportunity to establish networks and support with a number of managers undertaking similar roles in the sector
- Looked at the way in which they see themselves as managers, their management style, and the ways in which people work together in teams and are motivated to perform
- Developed management tools and techniques which can be applied back in their own place of work
- Considered a range of management skills affecting their work and create strategies for their own development
- Engaged in action learning sets which can be continued post programme
- Worked as a team on a work-based mini-project
- Considered their personal development needs, completed a learning diary and a personal action plan to address these needs
- Furthered their knowledge about the context in which HEIs operate
The programme is aimed at ‘middle’ managers in the sector in role or new to role i.e. people on grade K and over who already have management experience and would like to further develop their management skills. As work-based projects are a significant part of the programme, it will not be appropriate for anyone other than middle managers already in post. If you are unsure of your suitability please contact email@example.com.
Roles and responsibilities
It is likely that the roles & responsibilities of participants will cover some of the following (in no particular order):
- Appointment, development and motivation of team members
- Collaboration and liaison with peers and senior staff within the University as well as externally
- Continuous improvement by means of contributing and pro-actively seeking ways to meet customers needs and improve systems and processes
- Contribution to the strategic planning and development of the department and/or University
- Delivering a service to students, visitors, members of staff and other users of the institution
- Effectively managing projects
- Managing performance
- Providing leadership and direction for one or more teams
- Responsibility for the health and safety of team members
- Responsibility for staff and/or finance and/or resources
- Responsibility for taking and implementing team based decisions within the team, Unit, Department, School or University
- 3 day residential (2 nights accommodation and all meals included)
- 1 day CPD ’SWIMM Dip’ event
(Cost does not include travel to and from events or additional overnight stays. Cost of programme is covered by the attendees department rather than Staff Development)
Bailbrook House Hotel, London Road West, Bath, BA1 7JD
Tel: +44 (0)1225 855100
Dates and Times
Residential: Wednesday 30th March until Friday 1st April 2011
Registration: 9:30am Wednesday 30th March
Depart: 1:00pm Friday
1 day CPD ‘SWIMM Dip’ event:: Friday 14th October 2011
To apply for the 2011 SWIMM Programme please follow this link to the nomination form. You will need to complete all fields on the form and have it countersigned by your line manager.
Please post (not e-mail) completed forms to Lisa Hutchinson, Staff Development, 2nd Floor, Senate House, Tyndall Avenue, Bristol, BS8 1TH.
Forms will need to arrive no later than Thursday 9th December 2010.