Themes in the Metaphysics of David Armstrong
[Or: How to Philosophize with a Malet!]
Photos Available here
A Metaphysics of Science Workshop
an AHRC funded workshop
Saturday & Sunday, 16th & 17th February 2008
Conveners: Stephen Mumford, Markus Schrenk, Matthew Tugby (Nottingham)
The workshop is now full. We can no longer accept requests to attend.
Arrival and Departure
The closest airports to Nottingham are Nottingham's own East Midlands Airport and Birmingham International Airport. From East Midlands, there are frequent buses to the city center but please take a taxi should you arrive late. From Birmingham International, there are trains to Birmingham and from there to Nottingham (approx. 1.5h). Less convenient are the London airports (Heathrow, Gatwick, City, Stansted), but it is possible to get trains from there to Nottingham too. Check, for example, Virgin Trains for train connections.
VenueDays Hotel (formerly Citilodge Hotel), Wollaton Street, Nottingham, NG1 5FW.
The hotel is about a ten to fifteen minute walk from Nottingham’s train station. You could also get a tram from the station up to the Hotel (alight at the Theatre Royal and you are almost outside the front door of Citilodge around 20 metres up Wollaton Street). From Nottingham East Midlands Airport, the Skylink Bus service provides regular transportation to and from Nottingham City Centre. Alternatively, you may take a taxi. The driver will know the directions to the Citylodge Hotel.
Please be at the hotel on Saturday no later than 11a.m. We would like to start the workshop at 11:15 a.m. (for a provisional detailed programme see below). On Sunday, we plan to finish the last session between 4 and 5 p.m. and close the workshop with coffee.
- 10:00 – 10:45 Arrival, check in, coffee
- 11:15 – 11:45 Stephen Mumford “Introduction”
- 11:45 – 13:00 Ross Cameron “Truthmaking for Presentists”
- 13:00 – 14:30 Lunch break
- 14:30 – 15:45 Anna Sofia Maurin “The One in Many”
- 15:45 – 16:00 Coffee break
- 16:00 – 17:15 Daniel von Wachter “Combinatorialism and Synthetic Necessity”
- 17:15 – 17:45 Coffee break
- 17:45 – 19:15 Keynote Address: Hugh Mellor “Truthmakers for What? ”
- 20:00 Workshop Dinner
- 10:00 – 10:45 Ludger Jansen “Mallets, Money, Credit Cards: Ontology Beyond The Natural]”
- 11:00 – 11:45 Max Kistler “Laws and Necessity”
- 11:45 – 12:15 Coffee break
- 12:15 – 13:00 Robin Stenwall “Naturalism, Truthmaker Internalism and Representational Content”
- 13:00 – 14:00 Lunch break
- 14:00 – 14:45 Robbie Williams “Metaphysical Indeterminacy and its Revisionary Rivals”
- 15:00 – 15:45 Emma Tobin “Determinable Kinds and Higher-Level Ontologies”
- 15:45 Coffee, departure