Take a look inside Royal Fort House
Press release issued: 12 October 2004
Royal Fort House, a classically designed Georgian house, which is part of Bristol University, will be open to the public this Saturday, October 16.
The house, so-named because of its erection on an English Civil War "Royal Fort" site, was completed around 1791 by Thomas Tyndall who lived there with his family for about 30 years until he died in 1790.
In 1916 the last surviving daughter of a Tyndall, Miss Oriana, left the building and it was sold to the University, where it is now the Institute for Advanced Studies.
The open day will give local people the opportunity to see a number of the main rooms, which contain interesting examples of local design and craftsmanship. The rococo stucco work in the staircase hall by Thomas Stocking; the Quebec pine carving in the Dining Room believed to be by local architect and carver, Thomas Paty; the Withdrawing Room, where over the fireplace there is a piece of 18th-century wallpaper and the Parlour, which has two decorative elements, the ceiling and the fireplace.
Joan Lewis, University Tours Organiser, said: "The tour on Saturday gives members of the public an opportunity to look round one of Bristol's finest Georgian houses, which we were unable open as part of Doors Open Day in September."
Royal Fort House is located adjacent to University Walk and Tyndall Avenue, Clifton, Bristol. The House will be open on Saturday, October 16 between 10 am to 3 pm. A guide will be present to answer any questions between 11.30 am to 12.30 pm and 1.30 to 2.30 pm.
The tour is arranged by the University of Bristol's Public Programmes Office, whose main aim is to strengthen the links between the University and the people of Bristol and to increase the University's capacity for local engagement.