Engineers of the future
30 August 2007
The winners of a competition among local school pupils to design a sports park and stadium have been announced.
The summer school, organised in collaboration with Explore-At-Bristol science centre and the Science Learning Centre South West, provided an opportunity for participants to gain an insight into civil engineering as a career. A week of hands-on activities culminated in the students designing Bristol’s first sustainable sports park and stadium. The teams then ‘pitched’ their proposed designs to a panel of expert judges.
The winners are as follows:
- Team with the best overall design for the International Schools Athletics Sports Park and Stadium: John Cabot City Technology College
- Environmental engineer and marketing manager with the best sustainable design for the International Schools Athletics Sports Park: City Academy Bristol
- Pair of architects with the best architectural design for the International Schools Athletics Stadium: Redland High School for Girls
- Structural engineer and construction engineer with the best structural model for the International Schools Athletics Stadium: Bedminister Down School
- Best improvement in team performance: Hartcliffe Engineering Community College.
The prizes were sponsored by engineering consultancy firms ARUP, Atkins and Buro Happold. Graphisoft supported the summer school by providing free licences of its ArchiCAD 11 architectural building information modelling software.
For more details on the summer school, see the press release at www.bris.ac.uk/news/2007/5555.html.