We realise that parents will want to support their sons or daughters in making higher education choices, and visiting universities on open days is an important step in helping your child to make decisions about where to study.
Specific welcome sessions for parents and carers focus on how to help your son or daughter navigate the application process and prepare for university. They are not compulsory, but you will need to book a place. Following booking, you will be sent a separate ticket by email, prior to the open day. Please print and bring this with you as it will allow your son or daughter to visit other sessions while you are at your session.
Tips for parents and carers
Before the day
- Talk to your son or daughter about why they want to study a particular subject and what they are looking for in a university. Encourage them to think about questions they might want to ask
- Bristol is a beautiful city and the University is right at the heart of it: if possible, plan some time to have a look around.
- Have a look at our factsheet for parents and carers.
On the day
- Encourage your son or daughter to ask questions for themselves
- Be supportive if your son or daughter wishes to attend all or part of an open day on their own. This is a good chance for them to act independently – and good practice for student life
- Our open days are busy; we try to minimise delays, but please be prepared to queue in some instances