Browse/search for people
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
William P. Coldrick Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics
MA, PhD(Cantab), CPhys, MInstP, FRAS
I work on the large-scale structure of the Universe and the properties of the massive objects contained within it, using both observation and theory.
I worked on NASA's Chandra satellite before launch, and use it and other space-based and ground-based telescopes from X-ray to optical to radio bands to study galaxies, especially those hosting massive black holes and showing signs of unusual activity.
In these areas I give professional and public presentations, but I also speak and write on more general astronomical and cosmological topics.
- space science
- plasma physics
School of Physics
- Worrall, DM, Birkinshaw, M, Young, AJ, Momtahan, K, Fosbury, RAE, Morganti, R, Tadhunter, CN & Kleijn, GV 2012, The jet-cloud interacting radio galaxy PKS B2152-699 - I. Structures revealed in new deep radio and X-ray observations. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 424., pp. 1346-1362
- Giles, P, Maughan, B, Birkinshaw, M, Worrall, D & Lancaster, K 2012, Separating the BL Lac and cluster X-ray emissions in Abell 689 with Chandra. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 419., pp. 503 - 512
- Johansson, D, Horellou, C, Lopez-Cruz, O, Muller, S, Birkinshaw, M, Black, JH, Bremer, MN, Wall, WF, Bertoldi, F, Castillo, E & Ibarra-Medel, HJ 2012, Molecular gas and dust in the highly magnified z similar to 2.8 galaxy behind the Bullet Cluster. Astronomy & Astrophysics (A&A), vol 543., pp. -
- Richards, JL, Max-Moerbeck, W, Pavlidou, V, King, OG, Pearson, TJ, Readhead, ACS, Reeves, R, Shepherd, MC, Stevenson, MA, Weintraub, LC, Fuhrmann, L, Angelakis, E, Zensus, JA, Healey, SE, Romani, RW, Shaw, MS, Grainge, K, Birkinshaw, M, Lancaster, K, Worrall, DM, Taylor, GB, Cotter, G & Bustos, R 2011, Blazars in the Fermi Era: The OVRO 40-m Telescope Monitoring Program. Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series, vol 194., pp. 29
- Worrall, D, Birkinshaw, M, O'Sullivan, E, Zezas, A, Wolter, A, Trinchieri, G & Fabbiano, G 2010, The jet and counterjet of 3C270 (NGC4261) viewed in the X-ray with Chandra. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society701, vol 408., pp. 701 - 712
- Croston, J, Kraft, R, Hardcastle, M, Birkinshaw, M, Worrall, D, Nulsen, P, Penna, R, Sivakoff, G, Jordan, A, Brassington, N, Evans, D, Forman, W, Gilfanov, M, Goodger, J, Harris, W, Jones, C, Juett, A, Murray, S, Raychaudhury, S, Sarazin, C, Voss, R & Woodley, K 2009, High-energy particle acceleration at the radio-lobe shock of Centaurus A. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 395., pp. 1999 - 2012
- Dulwich, F, Worrall, D, Birkinshaw, M, Padgett, CA & Perlman, ES 2009, The magnetic field and geometry of the oblique shock in the jet of 3C 346. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 398., pp. 1207 - 1216
- Croston, JH, Hardcastle, MJ, Birkinshaw, M, Worrall, D & Laing, RA 2008, An XMM-Newton study of the environments, particle content and impact of low-power radio ga
laxies. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 386., pp. 1709 - 1728
- Berge, j, Pacaud, F, Refregier, A, Massey, R, Pierre, M, Amara, A, Birkinshaw, M, Paulin-Henriksson, S, Smith, G & Willis, J 2008, Combined analysis of weak lensing and X-ray blind surveys. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 385., pp. 695 - 707
- Worrall, D, Birkinshaw, M, Kraft, RP, Sivakoff, GR, JordÃ¡n, A, Hardcastle, MJ, Brassington, NJ, Croston, JH, Evans, DA, Forman, WR, Harris, WE, Jones, C, Juett, AM, Murray, SS, Nulsen, PEJ, Raychaudhury, S, Sarazin, CL & Woodley, KA 2008, Where Centaurus A Gets Its X-Ray Knottiness. The Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol 673., pp. L135 - L138
Edit this profile If you are Professor Mark Birkinshaw, you can edit this page. Login required.