Browse/search for people
Professor Nick Brook
Professor Nick Brook
Professor and Head of School
Area of research
Large Hadron Collider beauty experiment
After the Big Bang all matter should have been annihilated by its counterpart, antimatter.
Luckily for us, Nature had a preference for matter over antimatter. The tiny fraction of matter that survived now forms the Universe in which we live. But how did this happen?
A difference in the behaviour of antimatter and matter has already been observed but it falls far short of accounting for the excess of matter over antimatter in the early Universe.
Perhaps the matter-antimatter difference is only the tip of an iceberg of new physics waiting to be discovered? The LHCb experiment is set on finding the solution to the mystery.
The picture below illustrates the LHCb experiment - a series of detectors one behind the other over a length of 20 metres and weighing about 4500 tonnes. To learn more see The Large Hadron Collider beauty experiment.
Head of School of Physics at University of Bristol
Professor at University of Bristol
Physicist Programmer - University of Glasgow (1990-1998)
Research Associate - University of Lancaster (1988-1990)
ZEUS experiment at the HERA accelerator (DESY, Hamburg)
LHCb experiment at CERN
LHCb computing project coordinator (2005-2007)
LHCb physics WG coordinator (Production & Spectroscopy; QCD, electroweak & exotica) (2011-2012)
More detail here
- CP violation
- Grid computing
- Fast photodetectors
- Ring Imaging Cherenkov Detectors
- Barber, G, Brook, N, Cameron, W, D'Ambrosio, C, Frei, C, Harnew, N, Head, R, Khimitch, Y, Khmelnikov, V, Loveridge, P, Metlica, F, Obraztsov, V, Piedigrossi, D, Sizenev, V, Szczypka, P, Ullaland, O, Vygosky, E & Websdale, D 2007, Glass-coated beryllium mirrors for the LHCb RICH1 detector. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section A, vol 570 (3)., pp. 565 - 572
- Brook, N 1999, Momentum Spectra in the Current Region of the Breit Frame in Deep Inelastic Scattering at HERA. J.Phys.G, vol 25., pp. 1445 - 1447
- ZEUS, C, Breitweg, Jea, Bailey, D, Brook, N, Campbell-Robson, S, Cottingham, W, Foster, B, Hall-Wilton, R, Hayes, M, Heath, G, Heath, H, McCubbin, N, McFall, J, Piccioni, D, Roff, D & Tapper, R 1997, Observation of Scaling Violations in Scaled Momentum Distributions at HERA. Physics Letters B, vol 414., pp. 428 - 443
- ZEUS, C, Breitweg, Jea(a, Bailey, D, Brook, N, Barret, O, Cottingham, W, Foster, B, Heath, G, Heath, H, McFall, J, Piccioni, D, Scott, J & Tapper, R 1999, Measurement of Multiplicity and Momentum Spectra in the Current and Target Regions of the Breit Frame in Deep Inelastic Scattering at HERA. European Physical Journal C, vol 11., pp. 251 - 270
- Brook, N & Skillicorn, I 2000, The evolution of the parton spectra in the modified leading logarithmic approximation. Phys.Lett.B, vol 479., pp. 173 - 180
- (Faulkner, PJWeaGC, Bailey, D, Barrass, T, Brook, N, Croft, R, Mackay, C, Metson, S & Newbold, D 2006, GridPP: development of the UK comptuting grid for particle physics. Journal of Physics, G: Nuclear and Particle Physics, vol 32 (1)., pp. N1 - N20
- Brook, N 2004, LHC physics analysis: worldwide distribution. Eur.Phys.J.C, vol 34., pp. S425 - S432
- et, aZC, Chekanov, S, Bailey, D, Brook, N, Cole, J, Foster, B, Heath, G, Heath, H, McCubbin, N, Robins, S, Figueiredo, ER, Tapper, R, Velthuis, J & Wing, M 2003, A ZEUS next-to-leading-order QCD analysis of data on deep inelastic scattering. Phys.Rev.D, vol 67., pp. 12007 - 12007
- Albrecht, E, Barber, G, Bibby, J, Brook, N, Doucas, G, Duane, A, Easo, S, Eklund, L, French, L, Gibson, V, Gys, T, Halley, A, Harnew, N, John, M, Piedigossi, D, Rademacker, J, Simmons, B, Smale, N, Teixeira-Dias, P, Toudup, L, Websdale, D, Wilkinson, G & Wooton, S 2001, A prototype rich detector using multianode photo muliplier tubes and hybrid photodiodes. Nucl.Instrum.Meth.A, vol 456., pp. 233 - 247
- ZEUS, C, Breitweg, Jea, Bailey, D, Barret, O, Brook, N, Foster, B, Heath, G, Heath, H, McCubbin, N, McFall, J, Piccioni, D, Figueiredo, ER, Scott, J & Tapper, R 2000, Measurement of azimuthal asymmetries in deep inelastic scattering. Phys.Lett.B, vol 481., pp. 199 - 212
Read more >
Edit this profile If you are Professor Nick Brook, you can edit this page. Login required.