Patient and Public Involvement
The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) funds the work of the Health Protection Research Unit (HPRU) in Evaluation of Interventions. The HPRU is a team of researchers who work with Public Health England (PHE) to carry out research into the development and evaluation of health interventions - activities aimed at reducing risks or threats to health. We focus on the areas that PHE has prioritised and these are mainly in the area of infection and infectious diseases.
Our research team includes specialists from many different areas, including:
- epidemiology (looking at patterns, causes, and effects of health and disease conditions across populations and specific groups of people)
- children’s health
- GP care
- sexual health
- behavioural science
- patient and public involvement.
We aim to carry out research that helps to support the development of clinical and public health guidelines and the policy and practice of medical care. To this end we are developing a collaborative PPI strategy with our partner organisations in the West of England:
- People in Health West of England
The HPRU work together with PHWE to ensure that we involve patients and public in our work in the best way possible. Working with PHWE means that our public contributors can access the learning and development programmes PHWE offer. The PHWE website gives further information as well as providing a portal for other useful resources.
- NIHR - INVOLVE
INVOLVE is funded by the National Institute for Health Research, to support active public involvement in NHS, public health and social care research. Their website provides guidance and other resources for public contributors as well as literature developed for researchers looking to involve PPI in their own work.
- NIHR Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC) West
- West of England Academic Health Science Network (WEAHSN)
- Bristol Health Partners (BHP)
- NIHR Cardiovascular Biomedical Research Unit (CV-BRU)
- NIHR Clinical Research Network (CRN)
Opportunities for patients and the public to participate in the HPRU's research programme
Dr Noreen Hopewell-Kelly
University of the West of England
Room 2G27, Glenside Campus
Bristol BS16 1DD