The University of Bristol runs the SETsquared Business Acceleration Centre which uses direct government funding to accelerate early stage, high-tech, high growth businesses.
We are geared up to support new businesses from the following sources:
start-ups from the local business community
- perhaps you are working on your technology in your shed or dining room table and struggling to balance the time between product development, business strategy and customer engagement.
- you may be planning to move your business into an environment where you are not alone, can be the greatest accelerant to your business – even before all the value-adding services we provide.
- you may jus have an idea and want to validate it in a safe environment
corporate spin-off ventures
- for example, an existing company may have some IP and a team for which it has no strategic reason to support and is happy for a team to take the IP and build up a business proposition which could then be spun-off, sold or licensed. Doing this away from the ‘mother-ship’ may be the best environment, with independent support and market testing of the idea
Foreign businesses wanting to launch in the UK
- Getting quick and intelligent connection into the Bristol, South West England or UK markets and business networks is essential to safe creation of a satellite office.
- We can provide a ‘soft landing zone’ for foreign businesses looking to tap into the UK market or exceptional talent pool in the Bristol area. More information is available in our international section
University spin-out companies
- When the University commercialises its research and spins out a new company, based on academic research, it will normally become a virtual or resident member of the SETsquared Centre to maximise the chances of success and allow the installed CEO to make best use of his or her time, with the support of the SETsquared team.
We are also able to assist with outplacement services – if you are at risk of redundancy, or you are running a business which is considering making staff redundant, we can provide some workshops and consultancy to groups and individuals on th issues and challenges surrounding starting a business. See our flier for further information (PDF, 2.0 MB)
The SETsquared Business Acceleration is a collaborative project involving the Universities of Bristol, Bath, Exeter, Southampton and Surrey, aimed at helping early-stage, high-tech, high-growth potential ventures get on the road to success. It provides serviced office space, business guidance and mentoring as well as access to our high-calibre network of experienced entrepreneurs, potential investors and business professionals.
Note: some of the documents on this page are in PDF format. In order to view a PDF you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader