Innovation at the University
The University of Bristol is one of the leading research universities in the UK, having an excellent national and international reputation in research, teaching and global discovery. In the latest independent assessment of research quality (RAE 2008), over 61 per cent of the research work assessed in 48 research fields at Bristol was awarded either the top 4* rating, defined as ‘world leading’, or the 3* rating, classified as ‘internationally excellent’. The University has a successful track record of commercialising the major scientific discoveries and innovations generated from this research.
The University’s Research and Enterprise Development (RED) division aims to promote world-class research and commercialisation activities to potential research collaborators, licensees or inventors. These activities include:
- Research collaboration – working with a university department to pursue a research objective that is of mutual benefit and is jointly managed under a collaborative agreement.
- Licensing opportunities – the University is keen to promote technology transfer by licensing intellectual property to third parties.
- New business acceleration (incubation) – we support early-stage, high-growth technology based businesses with high growth potential and help accelerate them by adding value at every stage.
- Bristol spin out companies – a comprehensive list of active Bristol spinout companies.
- Consultancy – alongside world-class research activities, a number of Bristol academic departments and research groups also provide access to high-tech services, facilities and know-how.
- Skills and enterprise education