Browse/search for people
Professor James Ladyman
Professor James Ladyman
MSc(Lond), BA(York), PhD(Leeds)
I am interested in most areas of philosophy, but my work has primarily been in general philosophy of science and philosophy of physics. I have worked extensively on scientific realism, constructive empiricism and structural realism (I made the distinction in my 1998 paper between epistemic and ontic forms of structural realism and I have defended the latter). I also work on scientific representation, physicalism, the relationship between the special sciences and physics, naturalised metaphysics, the philosophy of information and computation, and the philosophy of mathematics. I am currently working with Stuart Presnell on the foundations and philosophy of Homotopy Type Theory and its application to physics. I am also interested in the imnpact agenda and science policy, and in understanding the epistemological and broader implications of big data technologies for science and society.
Philip Leverhulme Prize in Philosophy and Ethics 2005
Choice (American Library Association) Outstanding Academic Text Award for Understanding Philosophy of Science
I was co-editor (with Professor Alexander Bird) of The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, for which I was previously a deputy editor and assistant editor, (2004-2011).
I was Honorary Secretary of The British Society for the Philosophy of Science (2003-2007).
- Foundations of Complexity Science (doctoral level)
- Philosophy of Physics (3rd year)
- Philosophy of Physics (MA)
- Introduction to Philosophy A (1st year)
- Introduction to Metaphysics (1st year)
- Foundations of Modern Physics (4th year)
- Philosophy of Science
- Philosophy of Physics
- Philosophy of Information and Computation
- Philosophy of Mathematics
- Ladyman, J & Wiesner, K, 2018, What is a Complex System. Princeton University Press
- Ladyman, J & Presnell, S, 2017, Identity in Homotopy Type Theory Part 2. Philosophia Mathematica.
- Ladyman, J & Presnell, S, 2017, Does Homotopy Type Theory Provide a Foundation for Mathematics?. The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science.
- Ladyman, J & Presnell, S, 2016, Universes and Univalence in Homotopy Type Theory. Review of Symbolic Logic.
- Ladyman, J, 2016, The Foundations for Structuralism and the Metaphysics of Relations. in: A Marmodoro, D Yates (eds) The Metaphysics of Relations. Oxford University Press
- Ladyman, J, 2016, Big Data. The Philosophers' Magazine.
- Ladyman, J, 2015, Are there individuals in physics, and if so what are they?. in: A Guay, T Pradeu (eds) Individuals across the sciences. Oxford University Press
- Ladyman, J, 2015, In Praise of Specialization. The Philosophers' Magazine.
- Ladyman, J, 2015, Things aren't what they used to be: on the immateriality of matter and the reality of relations. in: C Cox, J Jaskey, S Malik (eds) Realism Materialism Art. Sternberg Press
- Ladyman, J, Presnell, S, McCabe, G, Eckstein, M & Szybka, S, 2015, Road to Reality with Roger Penrose. Copernicus Center Press, Krakow
Edit this profile If you are Professor James Ladyman, you can edit this page. Login required.