Information for Students

Personal Possessions Insurance for Students in University-allocated Accommodation

Students in University-allocated accommodation have personal effects insurance provided as part of their accommodation contract.  Details of the policy for all University-owned residences and Unite House, Riverside, Brunel House, Marlborough House and Harbour Court are on this page. A charge for the insurance is added on to your first installment of accommodation fees.  

Students in some partnership residences have separate insurance arranged by the provider. Please refer to the insurance details provided in your residence guide for details of your provider and the cover you receive.

Cover for students starting 2018/19 academic year is provided by Endsleigh.  The policy number is HH1589. All policies contain exclusions and conditions so it is recomended to check the policy documents carefully; policy wording, key facts and A certificate of cover can be found on Endsleigh's website. Top up covers can also be purchased from this link.

Basic policy cover
Total Student Room Contents Cover Unlimited
Disabled Students and Family Room Contents Cover Unlimited
Single Article Limit (unless outlined separately) £1,500
Desktop Computer Equipment £2,500
Computer Accessories £150
Laptops, Tablets etc (Accidental Damage included) £2,500
Mobiles and smartphones (theft following forcible and violent entry, excludes Accidental Damage) £750
Audio equipment, DVD & video players, computer consoles, hard drives and other data carrying media £1,500
Computer games, TVs, CDs, DVDs, videos & records £1,000
Photographic Equipment £1,250
Sports Equipment £1,250
Musical Instruments (including Accidental Damage) £1,500
Clothing (single article limit) £1,000
Valuables including jewellery & watches £1,500
Personal Money (theft after forcible and violent entry) £100
Credit/Debit Card fraud (theft after forcible and violent entry) £500
University Property on Loan £750
Library and Personal Books £750
Rented Household Goods £1,500
Contact Lenses (max 2 claims per year) £150
Insured risks against students contents whilst in direct transit between University/College and their permanent home at the beginning of term Unlimited
Loss, damage and theft from Hall of Residence communal area without forcible or violent entry £1,000
Theft from University designated storage areas during vacations following forcible and violent entry £6,000
Cover in University and Student Union buildings £1,500
Theft from any other property outside policy terms £500
Clothing damage by faulty laundry equipment £350
Food spoilage (loss of food from fridge/freezers) £100
Replacement locks and keys (following damage resulting from burglary) £500
Bike Cover (when locked in designated space in Halls of Residence) £250
Personal Accident Cover £50,000
Unprovoked Physical Assault £200
Death or Permanent Disablement as a result of an accident in the UK Up to £50,000
Accidental death of a Parent or guardian including unforeseen illness and redundancy £5,000
Cost to resit exams or reproduce coursewrok due to insured peril and Accidental death of a parent or guardian £1,000
Tenants Liability Cover (Landlord's Property) £5,000
Damage to Public Service Equipment (water, electricity, gas meters) £150
Personal Liability £1,000,000

The excesses on the policy are as follows:

Room contents, money and credit cards £10

Laptops, mobiles and tablets £10

Bicycles £25

Frozen food £0

Personal accident £0

Please note that additional top up covers can be purchased from

If you need to claim you can find more information about how to do this on Endsleigh's claims webpage.

Please note you must report thefts to the police within 24 hours of the loss in order to claim.

The insurers will need to see proof of ownership for lost or damaged items so please keep copies of purchase receipts for large items such as laptops and cameras.

If you need any assistance please contact the Insurance Office and we will be happy to help - 0117 39 41828 

Travel Insurance for Erasmus/ Year Abroad Students

Cover is available to purchase on the Online Shop - this must be purchased before you leave the UK.  Please note we cannot insure trips that don't start in the UK.  If you are spending the summer outside the UK before going on your year aborad you will need to purchase cover starting in the country you are leaving from.

Online Shop Europe

Online Shop Worldwide

Please note this is a group policy used by all staff and other students.  It is not a policy in your own individual name and you should check the policy wording carefully to make sure it meets your needs.  You may also want to check other policies that are available on the market to ensure you have the best policy for your trip.

The policy number is RTT276323 and the insurer's emergency contact number is: 00 44 20 8763 3155.  You can also contact the insurers by e-mail: . A summary of the cover can be found below:

 Personal Accident Benefits:-


 Loss of Limbs or Sight

 Permanent Total Disablement


 Emergency Medical & Travel Expenses (incurred outside UK)

 Including emergency repatriation due to illness 

 (Capita Global Assistance)


Baggage (limit any one item £3,000) Mobile phones are excluded from cover

Baggage delay (4 hours+)


 up to £2,000

 Money, credit card misuse


 (cash limit £3,000)

 Travel documents

 up to £2,000

 Cancellation, curtailment, alteration to itinerary or rearrangement expenses

 (as a direct result of any cause outside your control)

 Travel delay - £200 after 4 hours and £50 for each subsequent hour up to a maximum of £750


 Legal Expenses



 £300 per day

 (max £100,000)

 Personal liability for injury or damage to property

 £5 million

 Search and Rescue costs




How to make a claim:

To contact the insurance company directly:

Call: + 44 (0) 330 102 4093 (lines open 9-5 Mon-Fri)


and be ready to provide the following information:

  • The policy number: RTT276323
  • Your name, date of birth and home address
  • Your contact details
  • Your itinerary details for your study abroad year
  • Your country of nationality
  • Your bank details for the claim settlement

Or contact the University's Insurance Office if you need advice or would prefer to complete a claim form:

Call: 0117 39 41828


Additional information:

Placements and fieldwork (including EMS)

Please read our Student Placement Guidance (Office document, 55kB)

Personal Accident Insurance

The University has purchased Personal Accident insurance to cover all registered students whilst:

Like all insurance policies there are limitations.  Please read the policy wording carefully: Students Personal Accident Policy Wording (PDF, 141kB)

This policy should not be a substitute for adequate travel insurance.

Students' Union Activities

The University of Bristol Students’ Union is included under the University of Bristol’s insurance arrangements as regards legal liability risks. 

The Public Liability insurance includes member to member liability for members of most Student Union clubs or societies (excluding clubs involved with aerial (e.g. sky diving), underground (e.g. caving), water (e.g. yacht club) activities - members of clubs in these excluded areas should ask their club for details of their Public Liability insurance).